The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to restore an account that was accidently deleted?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Bayer, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Bayer

Bayer Registered

Hi, is there a way to restore an account that was accidentally deleted? I don't have a backup. If this is possible and you know how please point me in the right direction. I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Vinu007

Vinu007 Member

Hello,

Contact your host and ask them to restore the account from scratch. If there is any backup available for your account at server end then and then only it is possible to get your account back online.

There's no other way as per my knowledge.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Unfortunately it is only feasible to restore a deleted account if there is a full account backup (e.g., "cpmove" archive) that exists somewhere, even if it's an older copy of the needed account data. I know this is a difficult situation, but without the data being saved in the form of a backup it is not possible to fully restore a terminated (deleted or removed) cPanel user account.

As a preventative measure for the future, I recommend enabling automatic cPanel account backups using WHM, via root access; cPbackup may be configured via the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Backup >> Configure Backup

When using locally-stored backups, for better redundancy and reliability it is highly recommended to also use a separate physical drive or separate RAID array of drives dedicated to storing backups; this will help reduce the risk of data loss should should the primary storage hardware experience a failure.

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I use a prekillacct script which backs up the account just before it is terminated. That way you can always restore the account if you need to.

We've been using this for about 2 years now, ever since I deleted all of a reseller's accounts one sunday afternoon. :)

The script is listed here and you can just download and install it:

http://www.whitedoggreenfrog.com/scripts/

Sorry, I know this doesn't help at all with your current predicament, but this has made life so much easier for us.