The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to restore backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Pepdeal, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Pepdeal

Pepdeal Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    i recently transfer a home directory backup to another host.Both on cpanel.I see a compressed file.I want to know how to and where to extract it to restore the home directory.I am just a user on a shared host.I don't have any root access.

tnx

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can click on the "Backup Wizard" icon in your cPanel and use the "Restore" feature. This is documented at:

Backup Wizard

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

3. Pepdeal

Pepdeal Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

Thanks.But I previously see the backup wizard which can restore.But to use it,I need to download the home directory and upload it.My home directory is 556 MB.It's huge.

So,I want to transfer the home directory to the new server without downloading and uploading.I wanna know how to do it.

thanks

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As the Website owner, you might do better to contact your new host and provide them with your login details for the account on the old server. They can manage it from there I'm sure.

If you'd like to move the backup of the account to the new server yourself, using the Backup tools on the old account: cPanel > Backups > Download or Generate a Full Website Backup button, select the Remote FTP option and type in the details for the new account's FTP login. THis should generate a Full Account Backup and move it to your new account.

Still though, you'll need your host to Restore this Full Backup for you.

GL!

5. Pepdeal

Pepdeal Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I do it.I back up it to the new host and i contact them to do it.But they did not reply and I think they have no knowledge to do it.So,I want to do it myself.Can you please guide me how can I restore it.

tx

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you don't want to involve your own local internet connection (which seems to be your goal) you really only have two realistic options.

NOTE: Neither of the below options are cPanel sanctioned or recommended. We do not intend or design for you to copy your entire home directory this way. Using either of the below methods has a very real possibility of not working due to the fact that you are copying configuration files, raw email, email account information, etc. Any effects of non-cPanel methods (like the below) would extend beyond the scope of cPanel support. I do NOT recommend following either of the below and would instead recommend using cPanel's inherently available Backup/Restore for the home directory which has already been mentioned. I am simply providing the below as a courtesy to help you get moving on this, but this is not something we would support or recommend.

[Option 1] Hope that FXP (More Info) is enabled on both the Source and Destination server. This would allow you to use an FXP client to essentially use FTP directly between both servers. But, this feature is not enabled by default on any cPanel FTP daemons so it's a real stretch that it's enabled on both servers. Since you don't have root to then set this feature on, this may not be an option for you.

- OR -

[Option 2] Alternatively, you need SSH access enabled on both the Source and Destination server. You could then use "rsync" to copy content over directly between boxes. Type "man rsync" at the prompt once connected via SSH to read the manual on how to use rsync, it's pretty self-explanatory.

---

Again, a reminder here that neither of the above options are recommended or sanctioned. Any problems arising from experimenting with the above unsupported methods would be at your risk and discretion. We only support and sanction use of our own tools (the Backup/Restore feature for home directories in cPanel). I am providing the above information purely as a courtesy given your request for the information.

Just as a side comment:

556MB is actually incredibly small in the context of hosting accounts. I've frequently used such backup/restore features with multi-GB accounts without issue. I'm not entirely sure I understand why you do not wish to use the cPanel provided backup/restore method, as it really is going to be your best option here.

7. risharde

risharde Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    brian, you're supposed to be a cPanel Support Manager and yet you are telling this person asking for help that you don't understand why he would not want to download a 500MB+ file so I'll try to explain this in the simplest language possible in hope that you will understand. Also, it was an answer like this that motivated me to actually register on this forum - since many of the time I see these answers that cannot help the individual.

Some people do not have fast download much less for fast upload connections. For example, I have a 5MB download connection with a 1Mbit upload connection. Why would I want to take over 30 minutes to upload a 500+ MB file to a server when there should be a good option to do so by bypassing myself - the middle man (the slow connection).

Problems that arise are
    1. What if for some reason the connection breaks during the upload (time would be wasted, reupload would be necessary)
    2. What if the server times out during the upload process?
    3. I don't think SSH rsync would import databases nor does a site owner generally have access to this method.
    4. I could be wrong again but I don't think the FXP would solve importing database back etc.

Furthermore, its a shame that cPanel has not used enough intelligence and wisdom to think that cPanels users (not the root admins) would want to restore their own backups (without uploading in the manner mentioned above). I would be more lenient in how I thought if cPanel is free but cPanel costs the most out of all control panels I've come across and yet the developers cannot put this feature to import a restore without having to upload (from middle man)? This is preposterous and frankly put - unintelligent.

#7 risharde, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Greetings risharde,

Welcome to the forums.

You are correct in that I do not see the benefits to performing a manual unsupported restoration method for an account of relatively small size. This is not something I would do myself on my own personal servers. This is especially given that cPanel & WHM provides a supported method of restoration. Even on a connection significantly slower than the one you've itemized, the risk vs. effort for a ~500mb account significantly favors using the cPanel supported method than attempting to manually move things over. Despite this, I had done my best to provide alternatives that the original poster could utilize so that they could accomplish the task through their desired behavior. Simply put, though, those methods are indeed unsupported.

Regarding your itemized list:

[1 & 2] You are correct. If you or your server has an unreliable/unstable connection, performing much of anything will be very difficult -- much less an account backup/restore.
    [3 & 4] You are correct. Neither an rsync of homedir or fxp transfer of homedir would restore databases. The original poster requested homedir only restoration, though, which does not involve databases to any degree. Therefore, my advise alternatives did not involve databases.

The act of cPanel users restoring whole accounts themselves is more so a security concern than anything else. Even at a more general aspect, if customers were permitted to do this directly they'd be able to circumvent their own package limits and the like. This is why the only restoration actions that customers can directly make are limited to more granular restores like homedir itself, databases themselves, etc. versus overall entire account restorations.

I agree that it would be nice to permit these existing granular restorations to occur cPanel account to cPanel account directly versus involving the user's local connection. Off the top of my head, though, this feature would certainly need to be thoroughly thought over security wise. I encourage you to post a feature request for this functionality via cPanel Feature Requests so that a discussion can start on it.

The more support a given feature request receives, the more likely it will be considered for future inclusion to the product.