The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to restore from backups?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by postcd, Mar 26, 2015.

1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Dear admins, i have big OpenVZ based WHM/cpanel VPS.

It grown too big for openvz dumps (110GB packed tgz archive), so im looking for some way on how to backup the openvz cpanel/whm vps. currently i enabled backups of accounts and sys. files (daily bakcup folders with subfolders "system", "accounts"), for restoring VPS on another server i know how to restore VPS dump, but as mentioned it is too big, so im stucked and unsure on how to effectivelly backup this WHM/cpanel system for quickest restore..

maybe i need to have some small VPS dump (openvz vps backup), so i would need to create some new linux vps with default WHM install (not providing lic. key), and dump it, and then use that for purpose of VPS restore? Then after restore, i would need to restore fullbackups and sys. files somehow?

but i dont know how to restore these sys. files (i know how to bulk restore fullbakckups from WHM, but what about sys. files? Any idea for better backup way in case of big openvz vps please? thanks alot

#1 postcd, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. Patrick Heinz

Patrick Heinz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

"cPanel & WHM does not include an interface to restore system backup files". That page do not help solve my general backup issue, doubts, questions.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's generally not recommended to restore configuration files on a new server. These files are intended for restoration locally. They must be restored manually if you choose to do so.

However, there is a feature request open to clone a server configuration. Feel free to vote or add your input to this feature request at:

Clone Server Configuration

Note that the comments section of this feature request lists some of the limited methods you can achieve this now.

Thank you.

5. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

i ended up doing inconsistent "vzdump --compress" backups which do not requires suspension. As an addition im doing daily mysql, sys. files backups (whm feature) to external server. In case of failure, i think i would have to restore whole VPS monthly backup and then delete all cpanel accounts and then restore all cpanel accounts from daily backup.. if anyone have better idea on VPS restore, please kindly share.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The method you described should be suitable if you have to restore the entire server. Note that in most cases, the cPanel backups contain most of the necessary configuration data associated with the accounts. It's simply a matter of running EasyApache and updating your configuration settings in WHM after reinstalling the OS.

Thank you.