The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to restore incremental backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ljesh, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

I enabled Incremental backups in WHM and the system created the backup for all users.
    My question is: every night everything gets copied to another, offsite, place.
    How will I restore the backup if I need them?
    Asked differently, if a client decides to leave us and requires the daily backup (we have that kind of policy) what should I give to him? Since the file isn't username.tar.gz

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If he does a Full Backup from his cPanel that should give a compressed archive.

3. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

Ok, I understand that part. But what if I want to use the last weeks incremental backup on another cpanel server? How do I restore it there? I don't have the username.tar.gz to place it on the another's server /home so I can restore it...

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You have the option to download a daily weekly or monthly right from the accounts cPanel. That pulls the files from your backup and compresses them.

ex: daily.tar.gz

5. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

Why you don't understand me? :)
    I want to restore a backup that is old 1 week ago for example. I have Incremental backups activated. How do I restore that 1 week old incremental backup on another cPanel server?
    I hope this is clearer :)

6. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Place the user directory in /backup/cpbackup/daily replace /backup with the backup partition that is defined in your configure backup. You can also use weekly, or monthly instead of daily. You may be able to even create your own directory inside the cpbackup directory, I think that used to work.

Then from your WHM go to Restore Backups and select the appropriate directory and account to restore from. I think you have to have backups configured to be incremental, so if it is not already set to that use the Configure Backup link to set it.

At least this used to work a couple of versions ago, haven't tried it in a while. That is the only way that I know of to restore an incremental backup. I'm not sure if it is possible to restore an incremental backup with /scripts/restorepkg. You could always tar up the incremental backup (gzip is not necessary) and place the tar file in /home and run /scripts/restorepkg. But that seems a little wasteful since you are essentially tarring something up that is just going to immediately be untarred.

7. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

sparek, you answered my question just the way i needed the answer. Thank you very much for that.

I hope someone from cPanel can confirm what you said about the procedure. Backups are very very important and I wouldn't like to play with them without knowing what am I doing.
    Thanks.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You stated, 'another server'. I understood you fine.