The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to run apache as user 'apache' not 'nobody'

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by jnetsurfer, Feb 25, 2004.

1. jnetsurfer

jnetsurfer Member

Hey Everyone,

I far prefer to run apache as it's own user. This is for various reasons, one is so that I can leave the user 'nobody' as it was meant to be -- an unprivileged user with access to, well, as little as possible. I don't want to have to worry about other servers that run s nobody having access to al of my websites. So I'd like to run apache as the user 'apache'. (I can also deal with having it run as 'www')

Changing user and group in /usr/local/apache/httpd.conf works great. And no, I'm not using phpsuexec, so that's not a concern. The problem is that something (Part of WHM I assume) keeps chowning all of the public_html directories to be group nobody -- exactly what I don't want. What is doing this and how can I reconfigure it? is there anything else I have to be aware of? Thanks everyone.

Joshua Gitlin
    Webmaster
    Digital Fruition, LLC

2. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

You probably have the Web Protection feature enabled. That chgrps the user directories to nobody. You can disable it by deselecting that option from the Apache recompile in WHM.

3. jnetsurfer

jnetsurfer Member

Web Protect...?

I don't see anywhere in the "Recompile Apache" section to enable/disable Web protect

Is there a way I can have webprotect chgrps user directories to apache instead of nobody?