The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to see Resources usage from shell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ispro, Jan 30, 2006.

1. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Hello!

We would like to setup some kind of notifications when any reseller accounts goes over their limits.

Some of them having overselling enabled and it would be very usefull to see how much they are really consume, especially bandwidth (traffic).

It could be done via WHM -> Reseller Center -> View Reseller
    However this is suitable for single server environment only.

Is it possible to get the values in some way from shell? Perhaps some scripts over there?
    Please, help - on our side we will share these scripts with the community if find anything interesting/usefull.

Thank you.

2. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

I wonder if noone else need such the functionality to monitor server activity?!

Com'on, guys! Share your knowledge!

3. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I may not be right, correct me if I'm wrong.

Overselling will allow a Reseller to 'oversell' their space aka If you have a 3GB / 30GB Reseller plan with overselling, someone can setup 10 1GB Space / 10GB BW Accounts.

It will not however allow them to go over their limits, it will still suspend / stop when they hit their limit.

I may not be understanding your question, but hope this helps.

4. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Nope, you are wrong.

First of all about space - yes, it will not allow to go over general limit. All reseller's clients' accounts will be out of quota. However there are other ways to get rid off this limit. Anyway, space usage could be tracked via built-in quota when necessary and not a big problem really (as space usage not reset each month like traffic).

What is much more problematic - is bandwidth (traffic). While cPanel not allows reseller to create NEW accounts when reseller is on its limit (but next month's beginning reseller would be able to add more accounts with any limits on them!) it WILL allow to use more traffic for each client's account up to their limits! E.g. having your example in mind (30 Gb traffic) reseller may create ten accounts with 100 Gb traffic each and eat up to 1,000 Gb of traffic!

Yes, we set the option to suspend accounts when they reach bandwidth limits, it works - however it not work for oversellers - accounts having high limits and not suspended until they reach their own limits, much more than actual reseller Limits.

I may be not so clean with my English, but I hope you got the point.

5. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

More input on this?..

6. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

So is there any way of automating the suspension of a reseller account that goes over its bandwidth resource limit?

Regards,
    Suhail.

7. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

No, at this time.

Unless you grab traffic usage directly from WHM by some script and parse it accordingly.
    It is not reliable though...