How to send mail from specified domains through smarthost?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
Johannesburg, South Africa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello SoftDux,

This was already discussed in the other thread in this post:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f43/forward-certain-domain-emails-smart-host-136325.html#post877171

If you are uncertain how to implement this, please post in the other thread. I'd be happy to close or merge these posts into that one.

Thanks!
Hi Tristan,

That's not quite what I'm looking for. Those instructions merely say that all email to a certain destination needs to go through a smarthost. i.e. all mail to @gmail.com should go through another smarthost.

Instead, I'm looking for a way to relay all mail from a few specified domains on the cPanel server through a smarthost instead.

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Tristan,

Maybe I should put it differently:

I need something similar to the option in WHM > Exim Configuration > "Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections" where certain domain's mail is sent from their own IP's. But, I'd like todo something similar, where I can select a few domains on the cPanel server an re-route all their email via a smarthost.

cPanelTristan

Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Those instructions aren't for emails to a set destination that I linked. They are for domains on your server and what IP they should route through for all emails they send. It is exactly what you are asking to do from what I can see.

How about trying it out to see the results and you can then see if it does what you need it to do. That's typically the best way to see if what is being suggested works.

Again, if it does, I would like to merge or close this duplicate thread.

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Those instructions aren't for emails to a set destination that I linked. They are for domains on your server and what IP they should route through for all emails they send. It is exactly what you are asking to do from what I can see.

How about trying it out to see the results and you can then see if it does what you need it to do. That's typically the best way to see if what is being suggested works.

Again, if it does, I would like to merge or close this duplicate thread.
Tristan, sorry, I should have said: I already tried that method, and that's the results I got.

When I entered the domain name and remote SMTP IP in that file, mails from that domain on the cPanel server, still sent through the cPanel's mailq

But, as soon as I replaced the domain name with a destination domain, like hotmail.com or yahoo.com, all mails destined to yahoo.com started routing through the remote SMTP server.

cPanelTristan

Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Since it should work, would you be able to open up a ticket using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature? Please post the ticket number here for tracking purposes after submitting one. While we do not support customizations such as a smarthost, we should be able to see why it isn't routing properly.

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Since it should work, would you be able to open up a ticket using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature? Please post the ticket number here for tracking purposes after submitting one. While we do not support customizations such as a smarthost, we should be able to see why it isn't routing properly.

Thanx Tristan, I've submitted a ticket: #2371169

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, so cPanel doesn't actually support this, even though you suggest it in the forums...........

Hello,

We want every customer to have a good experience with our support and our software. Our team is willing to go to great lengths to ensure that is the case. We are sorry but custom configurations of exim are beyond the scope of cPanel support. To correct this issue we recommend enlisting a system administrator.

Should you need to retain the services of a server administrator, you can browse our list of sysadmins here. Dev & Sys Admin Services « Application Catalog, or you can post in the forums to obtain peer support.

Thank you for your understanding!

--
Greg Kuiper
Technical Analyst III
cPanel, Inc.