The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set a default page

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by mchristie, Aug 29, 2006.

1. mchristie

mchristie Registered

OK so I have read through lots of posts but haven't found any posts that are simply enough for me :eek:

I have recently purchased web hosting that is based on Cpanel and I am struggling real bad.

My web hosting support desk has not been much help even though I stressed I am very much a beginner.

My simple request is can anyone tell me how to set a default page, thats it :rolleyes: I'm sure there will be a few giggles at that but I have had a look about and can't find what to do. I dont currently have any content as once I get the default page sorted out I then have the job of trying to install Joomla, which I haven't been very successful with either. In case this stuff is related the error messages I get when installing Joomla are as follows:

1) File: /home/simulati/public_html/joomla/configuration.php [ERROR! ]
    2) File: /home/simulati/public_html/joomla/data.sql [ERROR! ]

Thanks everyone for reading and hopefully you will be able to help a damsel in distress.

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

you may set the index default page via the cpanel Index Manager or by editing the .htaccess file on your root directory.

The joomla error does not relate to the default page. You will need double check your Joomla installation steps.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  4. mchristie

mchristie Registered

Hi Guys

Thanks for your info. I have managed to set a default page, well I think I have, I no longer get the 404 msg when I go onto my website but of course I have come across another problem.

I added a database, a user and added the user to the database and then went on to try and instal Joomla but now I'm being told I have reached my limit of SQL databases :(

This is all very new to me but surely, seeing as though I am having to add a database to use Joomla that shouldn't be classed as my one SQL???? Does that make sense.

I logged the problem with the support desk of my web hosting but 3 hours later I'm still waiting for a reply.

Then hopefully I will be able to get use of the beginners guide to installing Joomla.

5. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Its seems that Joomla is trying to create a new Database for its own use. Just delete the database you had just created and try reinstalling Joomla again or find the box for "Create New Database" while installing and just uncheck it.

Well if I was you... I would have asked for refund and might have visited the cancellation link. ;)

Best Luck..

6. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you mean a default page at /home/simulati/public_html/ ?? If so it can be index.php, index.htm, index.html and maybe even default.htm etc... depending on if you are using straight html or php.

As for joomla I wonder if you have Fantastico that you can use to install it? If so use it, if not then it appears your errors are related to either not setting up a database or not putting the database settings in the configuration.php or both.

Do you want joomla to be the main website or do you want other content which links to joomla?? Either way you can set it up and it can be setup several different ways.

If you need some additional help let me know and I can lead/guide you through it.