The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up an ftp account without @xxxx?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by royli57, Dec 14, 2006.

1. royli57

royli57 Active Member

Hello

I am trying to set up an ftp account for a customer. I am using the ftp creator through the control panel, but the problem is that the username always ends with @hisdomainname.

The problem is that he publishes FTP information in an internal newsletter, and he wants to keep the previous FTP account he used to have, which is just the username without @hisdomainname. Is there a way I can set this up, either through the cpanel or directly through WHM ?

thanks,

Roy

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

The main account username/password combo that access cPanel can also be used for FTP access, and it doesn't require the @domain.com portion to be used... Whether that helps you or not :confused:

3. royli57

royli57 Active Member

Hello

Thank you for the response. For the main account, the username can have either the @domainname or not. But when you create an additional FTP account (like when you create additional email accounts) it only works with the @domainname suffix. I need to know if there is a way to get around this. I am pretty desperate for a solution, so I will take kludges also.

Roy

4. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, the easiest way would be to change the hosting account username to match his old ftp username.

Alternatively, if he doesn't want others to have access to the rest of the site, you could create a new account in WHM with "subdirectory.hisdomain.com", setting the main username to the one required.

If you do figure out an alternative solution, please let us know!

5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why do you want to get around the need to have user@domain.com? I'm thinking it's something to do with embedding usernames in a URL right? If so, say so, as there's a way around that.

Other than using the primary username there's no way around it. You might be able to kludge access by creating another username in the passwd file (with the useradd command) with the same home directory, but it's really non-standard and likely to break or upset all sorts of things.