Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

how to setup 2 nameservers on 2 machines?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by cyon, Jun 27, 2003.

1. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

hello,

up to now I had one machine on which I've set up two nameservers (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com) which both had the same ip.

Now I've set up a second server with cpanel and I'd like to give ns2.domain.com the new ip of the second server.

How have I to setup that correctly?

Have I to delete ns2.domain.com on my first server? Should I define ns2.domain.com on the second server as the primary nameserver and let the second one empty?

Or should I have filled up primary and secondary nameserver on both machines?

Questions over questions.. I think a little tutorial would be great and may interests some other people..

Thx in advance,

dave.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jdarow

jdarow Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Response

I would setup NS3.DOMAIN.COM and NS4.DOMAIN.COM as the name servers for the second server. You must have 2 name servers for each server, or your clients will have trouble changing their name servers with most registrars.

Hope this helps~

I find www.godaddy.com the best registrar for configuring name servers. Hopefully, you are registered through them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zenpig66

zenpig66 Active Member

Are you looking to set up a master/slave relationship with your servers? Both are Cpanel I take it.

Steve

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

if this is the best solution to set up nameservers on different machines, yes.

5. zenpig66

zenpig66 Active Member

I think it just really depends on what you want your setup to be. There's a lot of benefits to having a master/slave relationship between your servers that in my opinion is extremely beneficial if you are host. Maybe this thread, particularly the comments by itf, would give you a good idea of what you're looking at.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2861&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Steve

6. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

that helps. thx!

7. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

hmm.. I have a strange problem:

When I create a new account on my first box (on which nameserver 1 runs) and want to register a domain, I get the error that the delegation test has failed for nameserver2 (which runs on my second machine)

When I create this account on my second machine and terminate it one second later, the error at the registrar disappears..

How to explain that?