The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to setup 2 nameservers on 2 machines?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cyon, Jun 27, 2003.

1. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

hello,

up to now I had one machine on which I've set up two nameservers (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com) which both had the same ip.

Now I've set up a second server with cpanel and I'd like to give ns2.domain.com the new ip of the second server.

How have I to setup that correctly?

Have I to delete ns2.domain.com on my first server? Should I define ns2.domain.com on the second server as the primary nameserver and let the second one empty?

Or should I have filled up primary and secondary nameserver on both machines?

Questions over questions.. I think a little tutorial would be great and may interests some other people..

Thx in advance,

dave.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jdarow

jdarow Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Response

I would setup NS3.DOMAIN.COM and NS4.DOMAIN.COM as the name servers for the second server. You must have 2 name servers for each server, or your clients will have trouble changing their name servers with most registrars.

Hope this helps~

I find www.godaddy.com the best registrar for configuring name servers. Hopefully, you are registered through them.

3. zenpig66

zenpig66 Active Member

Are you looking to set up a master/slave relationship with your servers? Both are Cpanel I take it.

Steve

4. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

if this is the best solution to set up nameservers on different machines, yes.

5. zenpig66

zenpig66 Active Member

I think it just really depends on what you want your setup to be. There's a lot of benefits to having a master/slave relationship between your servers that in my opinion is extremely beneficial if you are host. Maybe this thread, particularly the comments by itf, would give you a good idea of what you're looking at.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2861&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Steve

6. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

that helps. thx!

7. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

hmm.. I have a strange problem:

When I create a new account on my first box (on which nameserver 1 runs) and want to register a domain, I get the error that the delegation test has failed for nameserver2 (which runs on my second machine)

When I create this account on my second machine and terminate it one second later, the error at the registrar disappears..

How to explain that?