The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Setup a BBoard on subdomain

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by m_x_w, May 2, 2006.

1. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

Hello,

How can I setup a Bulletin board on my subdomain. CPanel defaults to the main domain. Can that be done? How do I implement that?

Thank you

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

I assume your using the autoinstaller. Try going to the boards site and download the file, then upload it to your subdomains directory. Use cPanels file manager to extract the files and follow the install instructions usually located at the boards site. It's usually not too difficult, but if you get stuck there is generally a help forum to consult.

3. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

Thank for your reply fwwebs. I looked over the tutorial for downloading and installing as you've suggested. A red light came on when I got the database setup part.
    Well, we'll see how I do.

Thanks again.

4. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

Critical Error - could not connect to database.

Hmm.
    Now how do I fix this. From Cpanel?

Help Please.
    thank you

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Shouldn't your host be helping you out with this?

6. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

I guess I better start looking for a new host.

Thank you.

7. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Well if your host is offering Fantastico then you can install it on any domain, subdomain included. If they are not offering Fantastico whats stopping you from uploading the applicaiton to your subdomain and installing it manually? Besides that, if they are not offering any installable script why cant you upload it yourself and install it? Not every host offers SPOON FEED installations. Sometimes, you need to help youself to get the job done. Cant expect everything to be done for you!

#7 jackie46, May 7, 2006
    Last edited: May 7, 2006
  8. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

Newbie? - Whats a work around alternative?

>>Not every host offers SPOON FEED installations. Sometimes, you need to help youself to get the job done. Cant expect everything to be done for you!<< Who peed in your cereal this morning Jackie46? - Thanks for your hm ... eloquent reply.

This is the Newbie Section is it not?
    I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question here?

As Infopro stated
    >>shouldn't your host be helping you out with this?<<

I've tried emails to them for almost a year now and no response .... so i was being quite honest with my need to find a new host comment. So I am trying to figure this out. I am not having any problems running the phpBB. Just having problems getting it to run from a URL that it needs to be in.

I haven't looked at Fantastico yet. But to refresh what I stated earlier. I installed the phpbb and it required upgrading. Upgrading was easy. However, upon following the instructions by cpanel to install the BB it only shows a default root URL. I can not type in my subdomain URL.

Okay, the subdomain (it already exists) created a forum folder and unzipped and loaded all the necessary files template layout and all. Upon installation I get an error message and from my understanding, it can't find the database. Blah, blah, blah.

So I'm trying a workaround. I've installed the phpbb where it wants to default. Now I'd like to know if I can point To It from my subdomain via a page or link? As the URL location bar shows the favico of the wrong site, I'm thinking frames would mask that from the subdomain. Looks as though that's the path to take at this point.

Any other possible workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly for your input.

#8 m_x_w, May 10, 2006
    Last edited: May 10, 2006
  9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    For a year? What's the hold up, move. Those guys are worthless. Lots to read here.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

You should be able to create the database in cPanel easy enough, and then upload your files to the subdomain. Then it's a simple run of the installer file in the forum package to get it going. All done manually and with no help needed.

I wouldn't suggest you spend a single minute on phpbb though. As good as your current host IMO.

Try this forum instead for a free alternative. http://www.simplemachines.org/

The idea of installing any of these as I just described above, is the same. And you'll find lots of help on the forums at SMF if you run into problems. And upgrades are easy. ;)

10. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

Ah so there is light at the end of the tunnel

thanks infopro

I will check out the mentioned sites. I have a free phpbb setup already, don't like the ads on it. And discovered the phpBB in cpanel was the same. So I'm trying to move the bb seamlessly over to my site. (no members yet so its easy) As you said installing phpBB into the subdomain manually is easy, it wasn't a problem, but somehow the install couldn't find the database I setup. So I will continue to experiment some more with installing it directly to my subdomain.

So having it install to the default domain is not working out for me either using redirection.

I'll experiment some more.

Thanks again

11. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

OMG It's There ... Or Is IT?

Where is it? Is more the question.

I've just managed to install the phpBB in a subdomain! Ta-da. But I'm stuck at the login.php page with the youdomain.com in title bar and Please ensure both the install/ and contrib/ directories are deleted. Which I have done.

However, when I click on any of the links on the page. the login.php simply reloads.

??? Hm ... thoughts anyone?

Corrupt install? So I've uninstalled everything and reinstalled from stratch. Hm. that worked!

Thank you for reading.

#11 m_x_w, May 12, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  12. Afterburn

Afterburn Member

Hi mate, need a hand?

I remember haveing these sort of problems back when i was using hosting from lycos...:rolleyes: If you want some help I'm more that happy to help you install phpbb or anything else, contact me via PM or on MSN messenger (see profile :) )

Thanks

Toby Hewett

13. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Congratulations. :)

14. m_x_w

m_x_w Member

The Light