The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to setup a Cname

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickyarun, Jan 21, 2010.

1. mickyarun

mickyarun Registered

Hi noob here

I just wanted to know how exactly we set up a Cname for a subdomain. I'm running a kickapps website and i need to set up a subdomain Cnamed as "affiliate.kickapps.com". Can i get guidance regarding setting up a Cname for my subdomain.

Thanks in advance.

2. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you want to add subdomain from WHM then click on Add a DNS Zone then write the IP of the subdomain and in Domain cell write your subdomain, If you want to modify those details later you can make this by entering Edit A DNS Zone then choose your subdomain and click Edit.

3. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

Assuming that the domain name is 'kickapps.com' and the sub-domain is 'affiliate', what you need is to get a record in the DNS zone file as follows :

Code:
    affiliate 14400   IN      CNAME   kickapps.com. 
    Note that there is a trailing ' . ' at the end of the domain name. And, do increment the serial number in the zone file.

You can edit the DNS zone file via SSH if you have 'root' shell access. The file will be located at /var/named/kickapps.com.db

OR

You can do it directly (preferred) via WHM by using the option 'Edit a DNS zone file' as mentioned in the earlier post.

If you do not have root access to the server or any option in your control panel (only if your host provides some custom control panel) then you will have to contact their support to get the CNAME done.