Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to setup a shared ssl certificate ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bsamson, Feb 12, 2007.

1. bsamson

bsamson Active Member

Hello,
    I currently have 5 servers with roughly 250 customers spread over them. I understand how to install an SSL cert for a single domain, however how do I set it up for shared access across multiple domains. I am guessing ... but do I just purchase a cert for the domain: hostname.mydomain.com and it will work for customer by accessing: https://hostname.mydomain.com/~theirusername? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What I have done in the past was created an account specifically for 'shared ssl'. Like ssl.hostname.com.

Then, for those wanting to use the 'free' shared ssl, I setup a folder and ftp account for them under that account.

I know it becomes a completely separate site, and you can't share images, etc. However, if they truly need ssl for an application, then have them buy a cert for their own site.

This gives you 'free shared ssl' with option to upgrade to Full SSL on individual site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Why not get a cert for the server hostname server.mydomain.com and then users can load any of their pages with SSL via https://server.mydomain.com/~userid/ ?

I also need to setup a means for customers to have free ssl access and this is what I plan to do. Any problems doing this?