The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to setup additional nameservers?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jpfour23, Sep 21, 2003.

1. jpfour23

jpfour23 Active Member

Hello,

I am wondering how to setup additional nameservers. Here is what I've done... can someone help me better understand if what I am doing is right or wrong?

1. Got 2 additional IP addresses.
    2. Set them up through Cpanel
    3. Chose "Manage Nameserver IPs"
    4. Added "ns1.domain.com" and "ns2.domain.com"

Now... when I point a domain such as "www.example.com" to ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com, will they automatically work because I've added the additional NS entries above?

What about when I create a new account in WHM? Do I need to do anything differently for a new account to work with the NS entries above?

Thanks!
    Josh

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jpfour23

jpfour23 Active Member

anyone?

just bringing this up again because i would really like to know. anyone?

thanks,
    jp

3. jpfour23

jpfour23 Active Member

Anyone?

4. Jinx

Jinx Member

bump

5. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

I think you are a litle lost on this issue, nameserver IPS are not for sett ing up account directly ..

I you have whm box and want to give a reseller two nameservers , so they dont use the main IP's then yes, add two Ips, and add dns names to the resellers account under reseller center > edit reseller. Just add the names and clik assign IPs. IPs you will add under the IP functions.

The function you are talking about can also be used for adding nameservers same way, andy you can DELETE also, good if the reseller moves or something.

If you study the IP functions and the functions in add reseller priviliges then you shuld be able to end up with a config for the reseller where they use ns1.resellerdns.tild as main IP for new accounts, and the ns2 dns / Ip shuld be for the dns only - I think.

If you want to add IPS for you own nameservers, it is normal to add two IPs to the server, and config them in DNS some for the domain you use for the nameservers as DNS servers, adding the ns1 IN someIP and so on,

If you want two nameservers then use two servers, and hock them up together. THhis way you can share the DNS zones on the both of them, and have 300 accounts on each box, or whatever you add. So it would be 600 DNS sones on each box and 300 accounts then.

Hopes this makes sense,

6. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dont forget to register the Name Servers with the domain registrar so that they resolve. Setting them up on the server doesnt help if they are not registered in global dns.

7. viperkickass

viperkickass Registered

deleting name servers

How can i delete Some name servers out of my whm

my domain name is working ok with the name servers i have added
    but i made a mistake when putting 2 others in
    i.e i added a name server in with a extra s instead of say ns1.host i added ns1.hosts
    how can i get rid of this

8. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Go into the setup and change them to what you want. Then change (or delete and recreate) the entries in DNS. Then you can re-run the name server and resolver setup and enter the correct ones.