Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to setup Alias domains?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by hennesseystealth, Jun 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have read the documentation on setting up a domain Alias, but it isn't working. In Plesk, I just entered the domain as an alias and then changed the IP address in Cloudflare to the server IP address.

However, in cPanel, when I hit the add domain in the Alias section I get the follow error message:

There was an error when the system attempted to create the alias. Park::park failed: (XID y87zgy) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

I have Cloudflare for those domains pointed to the correct IP address. The domains are registered with Network Solutions and have the Cloudflare nameservers correctly listed.

Any thoughts?

2. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It appears that the correct solution is to use the Park a Domain feature in WHM and not Alias in cPanel.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @hennesseystealth,

While the "WHM >> Park A Domain" will allow you to park the domain name, you could also temporarily add the CloudFlare name server IP addresses under the "Remote Name Server IPs" tab using the "WHM >> Configure Remote Service IPs" option. The restriction stems from the following option under the Domains tab in WHM >> Tweak Settings:

Allow Remote Domains

Per it's description:

Allow creation of parked/addon domains that resolve to other servers (e.g. domain transfers) This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure not to allow users to park common Internet domains.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    There was a bug in cPanel or with the hosting service. After they made some changes, Alias and Parked both worked and agreed with each other.

cPanelMichael likes this.