Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to Setup Custom NameServer in Azure?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Terrence McGinnis, Dec 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Terrence McGinnis

Terrence McGinnis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been using Cpanel for almost 3 years now as part of the VPS server package by Namecheap or Godaddy, but now I'm trying to setup my own VPS server from scratch in Azure.

I've got a VM in Azure where I installed CENTOS 07 WHM/Cpanel, now say my domain is 'abc.com', To point it to Azure its DNS needs to be the default ns1-05.azure-dns.com (I've got this part working), now my 2nd domain 'example.com' needs to point to my WHM Server so I created my custom NS in azure 'ns1.example.net' and 'ns2.example.net' to match the NS in my WHM Server but its been 24 Hours and the 'example.com' domain still isn't pointing to my WHM Server. Here's the sample record set I created in AZURE's DNS Zone, am I still missing a DNS record?

i.stack.imgur.com/UGSmd.png

#1 Terrence McGinnis, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2018
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    at a quick glance that just appears to be just the zones for the name servers
    did you add s zone for example.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Terrence McGinnis,

I recently installed cPanel & WHM on the Azure platform and wanted to provide some more information on this topic for you or anyone else that installs cPanel & WHM on Azure in the future.

cPanel & WHM automatically enables a DNS server during the initial installation. Creating DNS records directly through the Azure portal is not recommended because there's no direct integration with cPanel & WHM. The recommended approach is to let cPanel & WHM automate DNS management at the server level by following the instructions on the document below:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let me know if you have any questions about how this works.

Thanks!