The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to setup DNS only properly

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by e2346437, Apr 23, 2011.

1. e2346437

e2346437 Registered

Mar 26, 2011
    Having some issues with DNS only setup.

I have two DNS only servers, ns1 and ns2. I have two CPanel servers, one a dedicated leased to a single customer and another I used for shared hosting.

When I configure the cluster with the CPanel servers set to "Synchronize Changes" with ns1, now the dedicated customer has all the DNS zones from my shared hosting server listed in his DNS functions (edit, delete, etc).

There must be a configuration where the changes made on the two CPanel servers are sync'd to ns1 and ns2 but not from ns1 and ns2 back to the CPanel servers?
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Whenever you cluster a machine to use the nameserver(s) for a DNS only machine or machines, that clustered machine can see all the zones on those nameserver(s). I would not suggest clustering the dedicated machine to your nameservers, since the current cPanel setup will not allow you to protect your other DNS zones from being seen, modified or removed by that dedicated machine.