How to setup failover (2 servers) ? Will emails work ?

ramystyle

Feb 9, 2004
Montreal
I am trying to find out on how to setup a second server for failovers.

I have server A and server B and they both have a working licence of whm/cpanel. In case of an outage on server A, I want traffic to be redirected on server B. I would also like that my clients still have access to their emails and function normally.

From what I learned so far..

1) Use rsync to sync from server A to server B
2) Open an account with "dns made easy"

Is that it ? What happens to email ? will they be synched with rsync and work normally ? What about spam ?

Thanks for your help.

Archness1

Apr 23, 2007
there have been a few discussions on this. It is possible as people have done it. It is also not an easy process and requires a lot of backend reworks with a decent amount of knowledge and expertise.

Search the boards for clustering.

stugster

Apr 16, 2002
Edinburgh, UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd like to ask why cPanel haven't already brought this kind of functionality out.

Yet again, I still wonder why basic backups off-site aren't already included.

I was extremely surprised to find:

1) the WHM backup utility wont let you do a full backup "on the fly" to another server direct
2) that the only way to do a full backup is to have a partition on the local server and store them there
3) that even single backups to another server are via FTP and not encrypted

Extremely disappointed in these areas.

rhenderson

Apr 21, 2005
Oklahoma
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd like to ask why cPanel haven't already brought this kind of functionality out.

Yet again, I still wonder why basic backups off-site aren't already included.

I was extremely surprised to find:

1) the WHM backup utility wont let you do a full backup "on the fly" to another server direct
2) that the only way to do a full backup is to have a partition on the local server and store them there
3) that even single backups to another server are via FTP and not encrypted

Extremely disappointed in these areas.
I had read somewere on the fourms that this was coming, I thought with 11.25 but maybe a cPanel person can confirm or deny this.

ramystyle

Feb 9, 2004
Montreal
Is there a service or someone that can help us setup a failover server ? We already have cpanel on both servers...
I've looked on google but could not find any company that could help.

Thanks

FreedomBI

Jul 7, 2008
IIRC, previous forum posts said that there would be clustering in v12. As much as I wish it were available now, it's a complex enough addition that I hope they don't rush it. A clustering failure would be a total cluster...well, you get the idea.