How to setup subdomain accounts best practice?

WestBend

Oct 12, 2003
I have read several posts on this.

I am curious about a couple of best practices.

If i want to create subdomains for my own domain name should i create subdomains through cpanel which then makes all the directories sub to public_html and adds them into the main DNS zone or should i create them in WHM as standalone accounts. As i understand it i cant control bandwidth usage per account IF i add them as subdomains through cPanel.

If i create them as standalone accounts in WHM which gives me bandwidth control but will add a DNS zone subdomain.domain.com to the Zones list should i then delete this zone and manually add it into the DNS zone for domain.com? Do i gain or loose anything by having all these subdomains.domain.com DNS zones as seperate zones?

Any experienced insight into this would be wonderful.

Thanks

reddrake

Apr 2, 2003
Wisconsin,Usa
Hello making them as standalone in whm is fine. Leave the DNS entry so it is expandible and editible for sub sub domains and such.

:)

WestBend

Oct 12, 2003
thanks for the input reddrake. If i am NOT going to allow the subdomains to sub another to their address is there any reason to leave them then?

I wish WHM would have a larger window to view the dns zones in.. its so small lol

WestBend

Oct 12, 2003
I mean the actual list of zones on the box, not the actual dns zone editor itself

ttremain

Feb 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I prefer keeping them seperate, however if you ever plan
to move the domain from one server to another, the
transfer utility combines them all. (or used to)