The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to solve this Hostname Problem?????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sourya, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sourya

Sourya Registered

Jul 5, 2010
    Hi, Its Sourya from India, i host my VPS account at 123systems solutions, i had configured the VPS server with linux & cpanel in WHM by watching tutorial somedays ago, everything was ok, but somedays ago, i started receiving emails from the cpanel that there was some problem with DNS setup, My hostname masslistinfluence, & the domain is, hosted at godaddy, but the DNS is forwarded to wards this hosting account.

here is the copy of that email

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<email Starts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject:[ipcheck] Problems with dns setup on masslistinfluence
    IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    The hostname (masslistinfluence) resolves to . It should resolve to Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by
    /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you
    believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to
    automatically correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your
    hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<email ends>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now, when i check the ip address in "add an A entry" , its correct, there is no error there, then what might be the possible error?????????but i host my Domain godaddy, i am not a techie, pls anybody reply me????????????????????
  2. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Coralville, Iowa USA
    Your hostname needs to be a fully qualified domain name, so masslistinfluence is not a fully qualified domain name. It should be something like for the hostname as cPanel will not allow a main domain you are using on an account to be the hostname due to the user nobody owning the hostname.

If you aren't hosting your own DNS, then simply use GoDaddy to create an A record for the hostname entry to point to that IP, and again pick something like for it. Once you've setup a proper A record for the hostname you'll be using, then you can change the hostname in WHM > Change Hostname area to the new one.