The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to spam a spammer ? if you know their details

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hostmedic, Oct 13, 2007.

1. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Let me try to make this a short story...

Recently our servers are seeing a ton of emails from 1 person on a daily basis.
    The person actually is real. - Even signs his emails with his company name and such

Now for the fun...
    I used to do skip tracing and collections a while back (helped pay for college) so I decided to find out who this guy is...

I called him and had a frank conversation.

he stated - I do not believe I am sending spam - even though his messages are not solicited by our clients.

So here is what I would like to do - send him an email each time his email address hits our servers

the email I would like to send is an invoice for say $2.50 to use our servers.

My thought is simple - once the bill adds up - for use of our servers to go after him and sue in small claims court - he is local --- very local !

I would copy these over to an address on our side as well.

If he does not pay - I can 1099 him @ the end of the year as well since he is an LLC - credit memo etc for non payment and then let him deal w/ the tax liability

I think once he sees these he may think twice - but maybe not...

In any event - is it possible to write a ruleset into say spamassasin or exim that would allow for us to fwd a new email to the sender - as well as copy to a private address for us to track ?

thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    While the idea sounds good, you're probably wasting your time. If you know its spam blocking him would be easiest.

But, if you really want to try something along those lines, you might look at User Level or Account level filtering in cPanel. Should be a way to work it out in there. (I think)

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Save yourself all the work and headaches trying to get this guy. Totally block him and move on. We have been through this sort of thing with known spammers and it goes nowhere, even if you try to complain to an upstream provider you have to get complaints filed with the police just to get his ISP/host to shut him down, besides if you do sue you have alot of homework to do to prove he is spamming AND you have to hope you get a good judge who understands the law, which is very rare.

4. Sergiu Tot

Sergiu Tot Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Forget about spaming him. It's not nice and it is useless also. Instead, ask your clients to forward all the spam to spamcop and/or other blacklists.

5. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Well it's not up to me to judge whether it's a worthy activity or not... ;) if you want to spend your time on something like this, knock yourself out! :p

Here's a couple ways I would think about going about it.

(1) Set up a global filter to forward all emails he sends to your helpdesk. In your helpdesk, configure his "submissions" so you are not paged and your support team is not notified when they come in... have them delivered to their own non-notified "folder" or some such. Then you can go through, add up all the emails (and copy date stamps if you like) and make up an invoice for him.

(2) Install MailWatch (it is already installed as a part of Chirpy's Mailscanner) and every few days run a simple report to find all the emails sent by this guy over the past few days/week/whatever. MailWatch will spit out a chart with the full details of all the emails sent. Copy/paste the data you need, then use that to build your invoices.

As for auto-invoicing for each email that arrives, what I would actually do is set up a global filter (picking up on his email addresses) and autoresponder so that he is emailed a notification that "advises" him that each unsolicited commercial email received by Server XYZ will cause the sender to be liable for a $2.50USD charge payable to your hosting company within ## days. Provide a link to the website(s) (e.g., SPAMHAUS, SpamCop, etc.) which define what exactly is "unsolicited commercial email" so he has no question about which emails will cause the $2.50 charge.

Now you will have crossed the bridge of legal notification and advisement. Consider sending him a printed copy in the snail mail, so he can't argue that he never got the email. ;) I mean, if he's on Yahoo or Hotmail, or some JimBob Rural ISP who has uber-aggressive filtering, maybe he didn't get the email. :eek:

Then when the invoices start coming in, he can't say, "you never told me this was going to happen" or "what is this for?" Well, he can say it all he wants, but you have been very up-front about notifying him what was happening.

Good luck!! Too bad we can't do this for int'l spammers....... I'D BE RICH!!! :D LOL

:D Bailey