The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start WHM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff75, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I was just changing a SSL certificate through WHM and when I hit Do It it shut down WHM so I can no longer connect. I tried restarting SSL and cpanel4 and it's still not up. Can someone tell me hwat to go do get it back up?

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

/etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel restart should do the trick.

3. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

When I ran that it said Could not find functions file, your system may be broken. Any idea what that means and how to fix it?

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Try "service cpanel restart" in shell.

5. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that won't work as my system is running FreeBSD and not linux.

6. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

If it helps any, here is the beginning of the /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel script.

Code:
    # Source function library.
    if [ -f /etc/init.d/functions ]; then
      . /etc/init.d/functions
    elif [ -f /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ]; then
      . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
    else
      echo "Could not find functions file, your system may be broken"
      exit 1
    fi

Sounds like the functions file may be missing. Maybe FreeBSD is different, but if the cpanel file exists, the ones it uses should also. You could try a cpanel upgrade. That would fix any possible problems and also restart cpanel/WHM.

7. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

Try /scripts/upcp --force

8. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I ran this /scripts/upcp --force and it completed but I still am unable to connect to WHM. The functions file/folder is missing from both of those locations. Any other ideas?

9. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I've opened a ticket with my DC and cPanel and neither one seem to know how to get WHM to start.

10. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What version of FreeBSD are you running?

11. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7

12. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Try running:

/usr/local/cpanel/startup

13. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. :( Any other ideas?

14. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

It turns out that WHM is running but only under 2086. Does anybdoy have any idea as to why I can't reach it under SSL on port 2087?

15. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

When a similar thing happened to me several weeks ago... it turned out it was a bug(s) in cpanel, and something that chewed up a stunnel.conf file.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=32754

Since for freebsd, you're probably using the older version of cpanel that I was (it was the 9.9.8 stable - one before last stable for linux)... it's possible it could be the same thing.

I never did find out exactly what changed my stunnel.conf so that it didn't listen for connections from the cpanel/whm secure ports. But a reinstall of stunnel and some tweaks to the config file got it working again.

However, you should probably try reinstalling your ssl certificate first.

16. neraath

neraath Member

Heh, I had this EXACT problem with my FreeBSD 4.10 server and have a fix for you. Please follow the information below:

Background: I purchased a StarterSSL certificate (128 bit encryption). However, at the time, my host's forms did not have slots to purchase cPanel SSL Certs using a cPanel generated CSR. So, after having issues with getting the certificate ordered, I had to use the Apache + ModSSL + OpenSSL method of generating a CSR in order to allow the order to be processed.

When it was finished processing, I was given a CRT to install on the server. I logged into WHM and under the 'SSL Manager' section, I clicked 'Change cPanel/WHM Certificate'. The fields asked for a valid .key and .crt files as well as an optional CA. I copied and pasted the values for the KEY as generated by OpenSSL as well as my new SSL Certificate. When I clicked the "Upload" or whatever corresponding button was, it seemed to process it for a moment, then stopped. Afterwards, I tried clicking on any of the WHM icons to get to a different section and nothing would respond. When I closed the page and tried to login again, it was saying that the connection was refused. WHM had died.

However, after significant troubleshooting, I managed to figure out that it was only stunnel that was dying. Some process must have tried to restart stunnel and something about the way the certificate was installed was not correct. So, I proceeded to see what was different with the cPanel installation.

The only file I found that was different was /usr/local/cpanel/etc/mycpanel.pem. This file was a concantenation of both the key and CRT that I inputted. I removed those files and copied over the cpanel.pem from /usr/local/cpanel.old/etc/cpanel.pem and restarted stunnel and everything was back to normal.

However, because I had a backup of an old cPanel installation, you may not. So, continue reading and you can find what you can do with your current CRT and KEY files!!

Now, to officially install the new key, I decided to follow the example of the cpanel.pem file, which was also a concantenation of the key and crt files. I put the KEY at the top of the file with the CRT at the bottom of the file. ie:

Code:
    cat mykey.key >> mystuff.pem
    cat mycrt.crt >> mystuff.pem

I then copied the file to the location /usr/local/cpanel/etc/cpanel.pem and restarted stunnel by running:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/etc/init/startstunnel

Stunnel then asked me for the password I used when creating the key, and it worked!

Hope this helps. I always like providing people with the answers to problems so that it can always be looked up in the future.