The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to start

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cryspatus, Mar 31, 2006.

1. cryspatus

cryspatus Registered

I have no idea where to start on building my first website, and I'm looking for some help.
    My cpanel has frontpage extensions (which i installed,) CGI, and php for chat and forums, but I don't know how to use them. the only thing I found that I know the slightest bit about was the HTML editor. Is there a way I can make my webpage without having to type in tons of html everytime I update it? Are any of the programs I mentioned designed to take some of the hassle out of HTML? and if so, how do I access them from c-panel?
    I know this isn't the most relevant question to the forum, so I apologize to anyone that i bothered, but if someone could tell me where to start i'd be really grateful.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

You can build your website using Microsoft Frontpage or Dreamweaver as this will reduce the time to write the HTML code. You will only have to write the contents of your website and have to design the website as per your wish using the tools provided in those softwares.

Connect to your account using FrontPage or Dreamweaver with the username/password provided by your Host. You can then design your website and can publish it from there.

You can also access your web files from the "File Manager" option in cPanel.

3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

For some really nifty (and easy) stuff that's already included with cPanel, look in the 'scripts' section for php-nuke. It may or may not work for you. You can also look all over the net for pre-built frameworks and etc.

4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have limited knowledge on how to upload,build,design your best solution is going to be to locate a friend that is knowledgeable and invite them over,fix them a steak,buy them a beer and let them give you a hands on lesson. Once you do it the first time and see somewhat how to do it you will be able to learn the rest a lot easier. Its next to impossible for us to explain how to do this over a forum board and the net where you will be able to learn it.

5. cryspatus

cryspatus Registered

thanks alot, this was really helpful

6. redwingfan

redwingfan Registered

hi and thanks in advance for any help. i dont know how to get my site up to create it. ive uploaded phpwebsite on one of my sites and jommla on the other but when i go to my sites i just get this

There is no website configured at this address.
    You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter responsible for this site.
    About cPanel:
    cPanel is a leading provider of software for the webhosting industry. If you would like to learn more about cPanel please visit our website at http://www.cpanel.net/. Please be advised that cPanel is not a webhosting company itself, and as such is not responsible for content found elsewhere on this site.

can any one put me in the right direction to get to square one? i know it probably dont take a rocket scientist to build a website but i could sure use one!!im not at all computer illiterate but i just keep hitting the same dead end

#6 redwingfan, Apr 3, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  7. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

I guess you are not the server owner, you will have to ask your Hosting company to check the Apache configuration file. You cannot do much about this error.