Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED How to stop local email delivery

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PeteS, Dec 9, 2017.

1. PeteS

PeteS Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This may be a little confusing to type out but I'll do my best to make it clear.

At one point I had two domains on the same cPanel server. One has been moved to a new server, and the DNS has fully propagated (it's been several days). Everything with email has made the transition fine, except that when email is sent from the domain that was not moved it still delivers that mail to the email account on the old server. (I want to maintain the moved account on the old server for a while.)

I have suspended the moved domain's email account on the old server but the just results in an immediate 550 in the unmoved domain's webmail's compose screen.

I suspended the entire moved domain's account on the old server but when I send from the unmoved domain's webmail instead of it looking to the outside world it just returns the mail to the inbox as 550.

I expected the above to force the mail to go out to the internet ans be delivered on the new server, and when it didn't I deleted the email account of the moved domain on the old server, but then the email sends without error, and doesn't come back as undeliverable, BUT it still doesn't arrive on the new server. It just "disappears."

What do I need to do to disable the old server's local mail lookup on the old domain's email account? (I do not have root access on the old server, and the admins will be no help.)

-Pete

2. PeteS

PeteS Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I might have found a solution.

I set the email routing to Remote in the Edit DNS screen of WHM, and now mail arrives at the new server when sent from the unmoved account on the old server. Is this seem like a good and complete solution? (This of course should be done AFTER the DNS change has fully propagated. Then email should be manually resynced from the old server to the new.)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm glad to see you were able to find the solution. This is in-fact the correct action to take when you move the domain name to a new server and want email handled there (but still have a need to keep the domain name enabled on the original server).

Thank you.