How to stop "retry time not reached"?

Scott Galambos

Jul 13, 2016
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
How do I stop this permanently? It is my server thinking it has not reached some retry time right? What the hell is this anyway?

Code:
exim_mainlog:2020-07-03 20:01:40 1jrVci-0006Ev-My == [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host for 'whatever.com'

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Right. The email address doesn't exist and there is no email servers running on whatever.com so the email can't be sent out. The server will keep trying to reach it for a bit then it will eventually give up and the mail will stuck in the mail queue. You can check the mails in the queue in WHM under Mail Queue Manager option.

Scott Galambos

Jul 13, 2016
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Right. The email address doesn't exist and there is no email servers running on whatever.com so the email can't be sent out. The server will keep trying to reach it for a bit then it will eventually give up and the mail will stuck in the mail queue. You can check the mails in the queue in WHM under Mail Queue Manager option.
No, whatever.com and [email protected] are just replaced. the domain and email addresses do 100% exist. and this randomly happens all the time.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Andrew is correct in his assumptions, although 'not existing' might not entirely be the case.
I'd suggest that for some reason, your server is unable to connect to whatever.com.
This could be DNS, Web or firewall related.

When this happens, maybe see if you can ping whatever.com or perform a tracert to it.
MXToolbox.com will have some tools which might help.

Scott Galambos

Jul 13, 2016
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The assumption from the server is that they don't exist because either they don't resolve or your server is not able to resolve them. What is in your resolv.conf?
This is in my resolv.conf, its been fine for years, now recently I notice this "retry time not reached" problem all of a sudden.

# Generated by NetworkManager
search extremehosting.ca
nameserver 204.15.193.162

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Scott.

This is still a little vague.
Are you having timeout issues with just 'whatever.com', or is the timeout issue with multiple locations.

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are you able to ping domains from the server itself? If not I suggest you to replace the resolver with something generic like 8.8.8.8

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Are you able to ping domains from the server itself? If not I suggest you to replace the resolver with something generic like 8.8.8.8
Exactly this - if it's all domains you're having the issue with the resolution may be to use a public dns resolver to test like google's noted above.