The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to stop spam from being forwarded

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dEadRavens, Dec 3, 2007.

1. dEadRavens

dEadRavens Registered

We've had issues with our server being blacklist by ISP's (AOL and Verizon.net
    namely)because of remote forwards we had setup. Basically our forwards didn't
    do any spam filtering before sending off to the remote email address. For
    example, info@domain.com would forward directly to someone@aol.com without
    going through spamassassin. These remote servers (AOL.com/Verizon.net)
    considered us spammers and blacklisted us (temporarily) because we simply
    forward all email (including spam) directly to them. We solved this problem by
    processing the mail through spamassassin (and deleting spam) FIRST before
    forwarding on to AOL.

Is there a way to do this using the features supplied with cPanel or any idea who could help me with this?

I'm hoping to transfer over 300 domains running on a CentOS 4.5 Box with a
    Qmail Toaster install with this current setup to a CentOS 4.5 Server running cPanel 11.15... this is the only thing from really stopping me right now.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or advice in this matter.

2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

Disable forwarders to those ISP's and ask the clients to use pop3 option to retrieve the mails.

mohit

3. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

As of Cpanel / WHM 11.x it seems to filter the forwarded mail as well as POP3 mail via the SA filters, mainly because the mail is scanned as it arrives and not after being accepted. The only stipulation I can find is that you don't turn on the "Use SA Old Transport System" under WHM -> Tweak Settings from memory, but that seems to be off by default anyway.

Know about the AOL problem - got all servers banned by them for the very same reason and whatever hoops we go through, we can't even get them to acknowledge us. Then again, their loss as all clients we had moved from them. :)

Trev

4. dEadRavens

dEadRavens Registered

great to hear!

Trev, thanks a lot for this confirmation. For a minute I was thinking to myself "am I the only one concerned with this?" should have figured... thanks again.

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had all my clients stop forwarding to AOL. If they didn't want to use a pop3 account with their domain, then I told them to use their AOL address as the direct contact address.

I still get issues with AOL though, when someone sends legitimate mail from my servers to someone at AOL. The AOL user then marks it as spam! And AOL believes them, even when it was a real email (response to their question, etc).

6. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that anything gets through to AOL considering the number of times people must hit that "this is spam" button, or whatever it is they do. Could understand it if masses of people hit the button for the same e-mail, then it probably is spam but then again can we expect anything more from AOL.

Trev