The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell Exim to resend emails due to greylisting on other server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SoftDux, Sep 8, 2010.

1. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

Another ISP who many of our clients send email to their clients has implemented greylisting and now a lot of mail from our servers to their server(s) gets dropped.

Is there a way to tell cPanel / Exim to resend an email which was dropped due to greylisting on the other server?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    My understanding is that Exim will keep the message in queue and should automatically retry delivery at a later time.

Have you checked the Exim mail queue to see if the messages exist there?

Reference menu path and documentation: WHM: Main >> Email >> Mail Queue Manager

3. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's not there now, and by the time I got the support ticket from this client it wasn't there either.

The logs show me this:

Code:
    root@mercury:[~]$ grep linhof@x.x.x /var/log/exim_*
    /var/log/exim_mainlog:2010-09-06 16:26:01 1Oscdv-000522-Rv == linhof@x.x.x R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-44): SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<linhof@x.x.x> <mailto:linhof@x.x.x> : host mx-mweb.smp.x.x.x [196.x.x.x]: 451 Temporary Policy Rejection - Please try later
    /var/log/exim_mainlog:2010-09-06 16:50:00 1Oscdv-000522-Rv => linhof@x.x.x R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx-mweb.smp.x.x.x [196.x.x.x]

But I don't see anywhere that it retries(d) the sending

How / where do I verify that Exim is setup to resend the email?

#3 SoftDux, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I would try using "exigrep" to locate all available log detail from Exim; "exigrep" should output detail of all log messages that are related to a given message ID, including if the message was queued or if delivery was reattempted later.

In the following examples please ensure to replace "$MessageID" with the actual message ID, such as "1Oscdv-000522-Rv":
    • For RHEL/CentOS Linux:
      Code:
      # exigrep -I -l $MessageID /var/log/exim_*
    • For FreeBSD:
      Code:
      # exigrep -I -l $MessageID /var/log/exim/*

5. Cedders

Cedders Registered

Not coping with greylisting on outgoing mail seems to be a common problem on cPanel systems with multiple-CPUs. There are also threads at http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/retry-email-settings-122553.html#post534081 and a long unresolved one at http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/your-users-having-problems-sending-yahoo-59708.html.

Firstly, try running "exim -brt yahoo.co.uk". It should return the relevant retry configuration, typically showing Fixed retry intervals for the first 2 hours, then Geometric, and then Fixed again for up to 4 days. If not, it's possible some exim configuration files have been removed.

Secondly, if that's OK, what's the usual load on the server? More than 3? If so, Exim's queue runner may be aborting because of cPanel's default deliver_queue_load_max = 3 (the Exim default is unset). To fix that, please see the thread at http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/exim-configuration-need-little-help-34796.html or Exim and greylisting | GreenNet. Go to "WHM" > "Exim Configuration Editor" > "Advanced Mode" and insert "deliver_queue_load_max = 20" (you might want to modify it according to load or 5*nCPU on your system).