The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell who is using Horde and who is using SquirrelMail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spaceman, Sep 17, 2005.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

A long shot, but I thought I'd ask all the same: does anyone know of way to report on which POP accounts holders are choosing Horde, and which are choosing SquirrelMail?

I'm thinking of phasing out SquirrelMail in favour of Horde only (one less script to support - and obviously I think Horde is better too), but would like to get a feel for their relative popularities first.

Thanks.

2. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Disable one and see who calls.

HAHAHA ok comedic relief over.

More seriously I dont know of an easy way to do it, but you could modify the php of squirrelmail to send you the usernames, or log them somewhere.

Be aware I think cpanel will find a checksum error and replace your custom file possibly, not sure, but I think I tried that once before.

Chirpy or some other cpanel uber tech may know more about that.

Keep in mind that squirrelmail is light weight, and horde is hard to use over dialup. I like horde and i like squirrelmail.

3. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member

Squrrelmail creates a directory in each users home and saves his settings there. So if you have settings -> uses squirrel. Perhaps those who do not use squirrelmail do not have the settings dir at all, perhaps not, I am not sure. Also horde stores user settings in sql server. May be if a user has a horde.sql file in his backup, then he uses horde.

One easy difference is also the name of the sent folder. squirrlemail users will have .Sent, and horde users will have .sent-mail in their mail directory.

By the way Horde was causing all kinds of porblems on our server like login failures, too much load for the server, so recently we did the oposite - removed horde and left squirrelmail only. only 2 or 3 people asked where is their horde sent folder, and we pointed them to add it from squirrelmail -> options -> folder options.

4. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Thanks for those comments.

I think you've reminded me that perhaps it's not so bad offering up both given that one size doesn't always fit all.

Is there a way to offer a shortcut choice to your preferred webmail client, eg:

www.mydomain.com/horde
    www.mydomain.com/squirrelmail

or similar?

5. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member

I guess you could put smth like this in httpd.conf

Code:
    RedirectMatch ^/squirrelmail/?$ https://host.servername.com:2096/3rdparty/squirrelmail/src/webmail.php

#5 panayot, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The webmail client you don't want them using is neomail, which I think is likely to disappear soon due to support issues, plus it not supporting maildir.

I had several clients recently who filled up their disk space and then neomail corrupted it's indexes and they couldn't see any of their mail - which was still there - in neomail! Augh. if anyone has this problem, remove *.db from the .neomail directories in their home dir. And shortly after that, turn off neomail. :D