The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to throttle backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flycast, Aug 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. flycast

flycast Member

For some reason my backups create a load of 3-7 and take a couple of hours to finish. It runs at 3AM My server load is quite low at all other times (0.1). I don't have nearly enough server when backing up but am absolutely fine the rest of the time. I have had to upgrade servers to be able to get backup to complete which costs money.

My settings:
    Use Compression
    Backup accounts
    Do not backup suspended accounts
    Do not backup access logs
    Backup bandwidth data
    Do not use local DNS
    Backup system files
    Database:
    Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory

IS there a backup solution that spreads the backups over a certain period of time?
    I know that I could turn compression off and trade disk space for CPU, I have run out of disk in the past. We hosts churches so there are lots of media files.
    Id there any other solution that experienced admins can offer?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. flycast

flycast Member

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Assuming those media files don't change often, why back them up every night needlessly?

5. flycast

flycast Member

I keep one backup. I don't have drive space for more than that. Excluding those files means that I would lose those from the backup.
    Perhaps using the incremental backup would be a better solution? Although I hear there are downsides to that as well.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Correct.

You can save a Full Website Backup of the account and those media files in it, offline locally and in the event of disaster recovery being needed and you'd have them. Otherwise, you're only backing up the important files that change often, like your website, email and databases. The media files will remain on the account, just wouldn't be backed up any more.

Excluding them would free up space in your backups, speed up backup time and possibly lower CPU usage during backups. You could check that by setting them up to be excluded as mentioned above, force a backup and watch your system. When complete compare the backup size to the one before it.

It's just a suggestion of course, I don't have any clue what your media files are and if they update or get added to often or not. :)