The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to transfer accounts to a different server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ronny, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

We are switching providers, and would like to know how to transfer all accounts and data from one server to the other. Thanks

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

Ronny, by the sounds of it, you have access to a Reseller version of WHM only. If you log into WHM as root, you will have access to a number of Account Transfer functions. One of them allows you to transfer all accounts from another CPanel server (requires root access on the other server as well). Another allows you to transfer accounts one-by-one and requires the username and password for each.

All relevant info is transferred, including complete home/username directory (web site and e-mail accounts), MySQL databases, domain logs, e-mail forwarders etc. Great when it works (which is most of the time, but not always). ;)

3. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

Actually I do have the root access(I am the administrator), however I could only find the option that alows me to transfer accounts one by one. Could you point me to where I can transfer all accounts?

4. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

I found it :). What happens if it doesn't completely work? Should I do the transfer again?

5. johnday

johnday Member

Trouble with this same function

I am also moving accounts from oneserver to another, but although the transfer of the .tar.gz file seems to be completed, nothing appears to happen after that.

Any clues??

JOhn

6. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

One of them allows you to transfer all accounts from another CPanel server (requires root access..

Yesterday I tried to transfer a reseller with all his accounts to another server with the 'copy multiple accounts' function but it didn't work. Then I did it through WHM one account at a time without any problem. I wonder why the multiple account function isn't working?

John

7. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

You could also ssh and do it this way:

cd /home/username
    tar -czvf files.tar.gz public_html/
    mv files.tar.gz public_html/files.tar.gz

(replace 'username' with your username)

Then log into your new server and execute the following commands:

cd /home/username
    wget http://www.yourdomain.com/files.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf files.tar.gz

Repeat the step for each of the accounts.

John

8. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

that would take long, why not just tar the entire /home and then send that over?

9. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

that would take long, why not just tar the entire /home and then send that over?

Is that possible? Could you please tell how to do it - what commands/parameters to use?

John

10. AusJeff

AusJeff Active Member

You would use the same commands but leave out the username part.

Problem with this is you first need to create an account for each user (and the 8 character limit can be a pain moving from servers that had more than 8 characters - eg. ensim)

Then once you un-tar the file, change the permission of folders and then chown each usernames directory manually.

Then go into each folder and remove any dead links (e.g for ensim mainwebsite_html etc).

Next problem is user email accounts aren't copied over either along with MySQL databases and if your user was using majordomo well forget it.

Best thing is to use the inbuilt transfer, and if you can't do that buy lots of coffee.

My best advice for those RackShack users going from Ensim to CPanel would be stay with Ensim on your current box and just get CPanel for your new box(es). Otherwise...prepare for some very long nights and disgruntled customers.

11. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

We're switching CPanel providers and need to transfer all accounts to a different server.

However using the copy multiple accounts function stops midway when transferring the "packages" I have to skip the package sin order to transfer the accounts.

Another thing, for some reason it keeps assigning a static IP address to ever account transfered. So basically I could only transfer 8 accounts (i only had8 ips on the server)

12. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was stupid and forgot to uncheck "IP" for all of them.

One problem though, reseller accounts didn't transfer :(. All accounts were transfered but those I granted reseller priviliges to (which is over 30) was not transfered. Was there somethign wrong in my transfer? Or is this feature not in the transfer program yet?