The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW-TO transfer accounts to a new server with same IP address and no downtime ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hostbox.be, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Hostbox.be

Hostbox.be Well-Known Member

Hi all

I have a server running with IP 111.111.111.111 with lets say 500 accounts on it.
    Now I set up a new server with Centos 3.4 and cpanel and IP 111.111.111.222 and I have asked cpanel for a 14days temporary license for this IP. So both servers are running WHM/Cpanel and they are located next to each other.

Now I need to transfer all the accounts from my current server to the new one with no or very little downtime. And afterwards I want the new server uses my current IP address 111.111.111.111 !!

This is what I guess I should do:

1. run the backup of all accounts in WHM on my current server
    2. copy over all accounts to the new server
    3. restore all accounts on the new server via WHM multiple restore
    4. shut down the current server (downtime starts)
    5. change the ip address of the new server to my current one 111.111.111.111
    6. reboot the new server (downtime stops)

BUT how do I make in point 5 that the IP address changes everywhere that it is needed ?
    I can manually change it in /ect/hosts and ifcfg-eth0, but this is not enough ! The IP address is also in all /var/named files and in httpd.conf... do I have to do the changes manually or is there a script available ? Maybe via WHM ?

I know also that changes that are made after the backup and before the new server is up and emails sent during that period and not picked up from the server, will be lost. Therefore I will do the transfer at night when there is little traffic. I guess there is no other easy way ?

Thanks for your advise,
    Steven

#1 Hostbox.be, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  2. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

1. run the backup of all accounts in WHM on my current server
    2. copy over all accounts to the new server
    3. restore all accounts on the new server via WHM multiple restore
    4. shut down the current server (downtime starts)
    5. change the ip address of the new server to my current one 111.111.111.111
    6. reboot the new server (downtime stops)

I HAVE DONE THAT 3 TIMES BEFOREE AND IT HAS WORKED WITH NO PROBLEMS

change the ip in the followinglocations

hosts
    resolv.conf
    wwwacct.conf
    nameserverips
    ifcfg-eth0
    network

also dont forget to copy the "features" and the "packages filesmanually as backup doesn't copy them

also dont forget to remove all ips from the old server and then restart it with new ips then now go and all the main old ip to the new server along with all aditional ips then reboot it

to solve the issue of /var/named when installing cpanel on the new server which has a separate ip please put the old server ip as the main shared ip under" server SETUP settings " in whm otherwise after finish restoring the accounts you can use teh finction of change multy site ips under multi accounts functions

i did that 3 times before
    i can stay with you on msn and help you during the time of moving :) i dont mind because many poeple helped me here so i really wish to help somebody
    pm me if u need me on msn messenger
    Good Luck @

#2 s_2_s, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  3. michthien

michthien Member

anyone change server with different ip address without downtime?

Hi

I had a similar question. Because we move to the new ISP. I need to change ip address of the server. I am running both old and new ip address (diffrent subnet) at the same time. Is there any one can do it without a down time?

Nhat

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member