The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to transfer mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Networkologist, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

I've been unsuccessful in getting WHM to transfer sites. It keeps timing out copying the copy script.

What I've been doing is opening up two instances of WS_FTP and dragging and droping the sites.

So if I login to my current ensim box and change the permissions of the users mail file and if there is a user with the same name on the cpanel box, can I just copy the users mail over?

2. Networkologist

Quick explanation as to why I need to do this - primarily for one client that keeps his email on the server and access it from the web. He's sharing this e-mail with an overseas partner and they use it to store docs, etc.

So what I see is that ensim has the mail as the username and on my current server the mail is called "inbox" under the username. Y/N?

So if I copied the username mail over to the new server and renamed it inbox, will this work?

Anybody have a better way?

3. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe I did it that way a couple times. Don't remember exactly.

But, I think I found that instead of worrying about file permissions, I instead did a copy/paste of the contents.

It was quick for when I was doing it, and there wasn't a lot of documents. But, as long as the file 'inbox' maintains it's permissions, and the 'owner' is the user (not root), then there wasn't a problem.

4. Networkologist

Thanks for the idea.

You know it's funny, i can ftp into my ensim box w/ssh as root and navigate to the users mail and drag and drop it in his account on the cpanel server.

On the ensim box, logged in as the site admin, I can't navigate to mail. On the cpanel server, I can :eek:

But I can't ftp w/ssh to the cpanel box

Clear as mud?

5. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Can't you use scp to copy files directly from one server to the other?

6. Networkologist

I'm going to try scp

To transfer the sites assoon as I finish practicing - newbie here.

Problem with mail is, I managed to copy it over and changed the name of the file from the user to 'inbox' but neomail doesn't seem to think there's any mail.