Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to turn off ident ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by sneader, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My logs are filled with ident messages like:

2008-11-21 12:40:38 [3935] SMTP connection from [123.123.123.123]:57340 I=[72.72.72.72]:25 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
    2008-11-21 12:40:40 [16563] ident connection to 123.123.123.123 timed out

Why does Exim even bother to try idents, when hardly anybody responds to them anymore? Seems like a waste of resources.

If you agree, then Jane, how do I stop this crazy thing? :)

- Scott

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

According to the exim docs, setting the config option rfc1413_query_timeout to 0s turns off ident.

Code:
    rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Nick, that is cool!

I see that this is not editable within the Exim Configuration Editor (it's not in an editable section)... so the next time I make an Exim edit, or Exim gets upgraded, I will lose the change.

But I've made the change, and it's definitely working. I bet there isn't much chatter about this problem, because Exim doesn't log this by default, you have to turn on more verbose logging to see all these ident timeouts.

I have "log_selector = +all" entered in the first editable box in the Exim Configuration editor, to give me more verbose Exim logging, which I really like when troubleshooting. That starts showing all the ident timeouts.

Thanks again for taking time to find that fix for me -- much appreciated!

- Scott

4. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've entered a feature request in Bugzilla, to ask for the ability to edit this portion of /etc/exim.conf, so that we can enable/disable Ident Requests without having this change overwritten:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=8141

Feel free to add comments and/or votes.

- Scott