Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to turn your dedicated server to a VPS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kisty, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Kisty

Kisty Member

Hi! :) I recently owned a dedicated server and I'm planning to make turn it a VPS. May I know how? :)

Thank you.

2. Janak

Janak Well-Known Member

Do you wish to keep your owned dedicated server as main hardware node and create new Virtual private servers from it?

Note: You can not transfer dedicated server to VPS. VPS can only be created from main hardware node. You require a virtulization software like virtuozzo, openvz, xen etc, to make virtual servers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SingleOS

SingleOS Member

There are different types of virtualization. For web hosting purposes I would suggest you to use OS Virtualization approach - OpenVZ (Linux), Virtuozzo (Linux, Windows), FreeVPS (Linux), Linux-VServer (Linux), FreeBSD Jails (OpenBSD) and etc.

Virtuozzo is probably the easiest way to start offering VPS, but it will cost you at least $100 per month.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Though it can be done, I don't really recommend converting an existing live production server into a VPS node.

It is really best to start with a fresh clean machine if you are looking to setup VPS accounts as that will save you a lot of headaches and time having to back up everything, changing software, reconfiguring the operating system and kernels, restoring data, and patching everything to work correctly.

When you start with a fresh machine, you can deploy all the VPS and all the software and environments at once and it makes things much easier all around!

5. Kisty

Kisty Member

Thank you guys. :)
    And thank you as well for the tip.

6. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    yes it is quite possible to convert a dedicated server into a vps done it many times

but as Spiral said converting an existing live production server into a VPS node not a wise idea