The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to uninstall cPanel/WHM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by acer2k, Nov 8, 2003.

1. acer2k

acer2k Well-Known Member

Do __NOT__ tell me to reinstall. How do I uninstall cPanel/WHM WITHOUT reinstalling the OS. Unless you have some useful information, please do not post.

I have been searching several online forums including this one on how to do this. Every one just says reinstall. That is _not_ an option.

Thanks

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well guess what. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.

Sorry, but whether you like it or not, whether it is an option for you or not is irrelevant.

cPanel/WHM is integrated into the O/S so you HAVE no choice.

Don't ask the question if your going to ignore the answers.

Ever thought that the reason "Every one just says reinstall" there is a reason?

3. acer2k

acer2k Well-Known Member

That is not the only way. It is not that integrated into the OS, or it would require a special OS to run. It IS possible to just remove all the cPanel files and edit 3rd party program configs to work without it..

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Okay, let's put it this way, probably the only one that could answer that then would be Nick from cPanel.

I personally would not trust a system that has had cPanel manually file by file removed. One or two files or settings missed and system could be completly screwed.

Good luck to you!

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Possible maybe, but only if you know what you're doing and you want a lot of complications. Don't ask me how though.

Recently I got my second server and I decided I just want to use my first one as a backup server. I would not need cpanel to do that so I asked my NOC about discontinuing cpanel on it to save the $30/month since I won't need it. They said the OS HAD to be reinstalled which would cost $150 so I ended up just leaving cpanel on it. I did discuss it with them and asked about just cancelling my cpanel license and was told it could not be done. CPanel is part of the operating system and the server would not work. The OS would have to be reinstalled.

Maybe it is possible to manually remove cpanel and make some functions work, but I imagine it would be so much work, it would be much easier to just backup what you want to keep, reinstall the OS, and copy back those files.

6. RaveKnights

RaveKnights Well-Known Member

Now why would you want to go waiste a perfect web host app like cPanel?

This cPanel rules man! :D Ya! who da man? NICK do man!

7. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why don't you just reformat the drive and install Linux. Is that what you want to do?

8. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

#!/bin/sh
    # Uninstall script for Cpanel
    rm -f "/usr/local/cpanel/uninstall"
    #### END OF UNINSTALL
    echo "Cpanel has been uninstalled."

9. morozsm

morozsm Registered

After reading this topic, i was in panic. Is there is no way to uninstall? So i decided, if OS reinstall needed anyway, why don't to try demove it manualy? So, i use FreeBSD 5.3, i checked the /etc/rc.conf first, there was nothing interesting, exept chkservd_enable="YES", i delete this line. No effect. Ok. Cpanel daemons runed by init process. Some interesting scripts was in a /etc/init.d. I deleted it. Reboot. Nothing. Apache from cpanel is running, exim is runing, and all other cpanel sfuff is running. I use pstree, to find exactly, what process calls that daemons. I saw, that there are satarts after cron process starts. Ok. /var/cron/tabs/root and we can see cpanel staring scripts calling. Ok. Reinstall root crontab, without that lines - reboot - no cpanel starts, exept exim. I use pkg_delete exim-4.20, good, it deleted. SO pkg_delete bsdpan* deletes all installed cpanel modules for me. Reboot - perfectly! My old postfix coming up, my old apache coming up. Some troubles was with a named, but little work with rc.conf, changing path to .conf file - and named works again. The delete cpanel dirs. /usr/local/cpanel, /usr/local/apache, /scripts, cpanel dirs from /home/*, and may be something else, i don't remember exactly. So, it takes about an hour for me to remove cpanel and return to sweet Free :)

10. jsnape

jsnape Well-Known Member

That's 4x longer than it takes to format and reinstall a new OS, and there aren't a bunch of unknown stuff and proprietary cpanel paths and cpanel installed software lyng around.