The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to uninstall cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mauinet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mauinet

mauinet Active Member

Hello, I accidently installed the full cPanel when I wanted dnsonly. How do I uninstall cPanel or can I just reinstall dnsonly on top of it?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll probably need to reload the server itself, there is no way to remove cPanel.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I agree with Infopro that the best course of action would be to perform an OS reload (e.g., format-and-reinstall) and then install the desired build for the intended use, such as cPanel DNSONLY.

Please note, however, that it is OK to use a full cPanel/WHM installation as a DNS server (e.g., with cPanel DNS Clustering as configured via WHM).

Related Documentation:
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration
    Nameserver Selection
    DNS Functions

4. askapache

askapache Registered

Actually, it can be done in about 15 minutes from the shell. I uninstalled it and documented the steps and commands I used here.

Sometimes this is neccessary if you have to remove it but you are not able to reinstall the entire OS like with a VPS.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like you had some fun, good for you. :p

And then in the first paragraph you take a unneeded dig at someone I guess.
    With time on your hands, you could probably do whatever is needed to remove cPanel and restore the system, yes sure you bet. A reload is by far faster though and is why you won't find much in the way of directions on uninstalling cPanel on google as your article mentions.

And yet you then go on to say:

And then you drop by the cPanel forums and post this article on how to remove cPanel in two separate threads, which in most cases would be useless to the average user here that runs cPanel.

You quoted my advice in your post just above, but my post was not precise enough so I'll add this one as well:

You'll probably should just reload the server itself, there is no easy way to remove cPanel and be sure you've done it properly...

Your article is more of an excercise than anything else, and it does sound like you had fun digging around wiping stuff piece by piece. But there's no need to take shots at cPanel in your article and then come post a link to it here.

A self-propagating virus? Really?

I'll just end my post with one more comment from you in your own article:

Correct. Just reload the server, you're done in a few hours instead of 6 months of digging for files and evil crons.

cPanelDon likes this.
  6. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes exactly just reload the os . It will take only 30 minutes. Other wise you must need spend your vacation for doing this research :)