The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to upgrade kernel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FreDy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. FreDy

FreDy Member

Hello,

I want to know how can I upgrade the kernel easily.... Is there any way to upgrade from WHM? Or I must download the kernel manually and then upgrade it?

Thanks in advance

I'm using CentOS 4.3 and the kernel is 2.6.9-34.0.1.ELsmp. I've heard that kernel causes high loads and upgrading it solves the problem.

#1 FreDy, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

2.6.9-34.0.2.EL is the current centos kernel, remove it from your yum exclude list (/etc/yum.conf) and then use yum to upgrade it (yum update)

although on the point of load, I upgraded to the current kernel a few days ago from an old kernel version (2.6.9-11.0.1.EL i think) and my load has trippled since, may have just been reporting wrong before though I guess

#2 nickp666, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

No, you can't upgrade the kernel from the WHM. You'll have to SSH to the server to do that. You can download and upgrade the Kernel, manually, or you can use Yum as suggested by nickp666. kernel v2.6.9-34 is the current official release. For our clients, we upgraded their kernel to v2.6.9-42.

4. Anishts

Anishts Active Member