How to use DNS from server 1 on server 2?

JapAniManga.ch

Aug 11, 2001
Switzerland
Hi ITF,

and thanks for the great Guide.

Have now one Problem, when I want to synch. on Server2 the DNS I get:
Rebuilding DNS Zones List from master server .....
Scp failed!

Do you know what this can be ?

jsteel

Jul 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
[quote:4b23cd5171][i:4b23cd5171]Originally posted by AnimeHosting.net[/i:4b23cd5171]

Hi ITF,

Scp failed!

Do you know what this can be ?[/quote:4b23cd5171]

I also just got this. I've just added my 5th server and got this trying to synchronize for the first time. Servers 2-4 never got this message. Things definitely die after this as the named.conf never gets updated.

Jaz

itf

May 9, 2002
[quote:a695571eef][i:a695571eef]Originally posted by jsteel[/i:a695571eef]

[quote:a695571eef][i:a695571eef]Originally posted by AnimeHosting.net[/i:a695571eef]

Hi ITF,

Scp failed!

Do you know what this can be ?[/quote:a695571eef]

I also just got this. I've just added my 5th server and got this trying to synchronize for the first time. Servers 2-4 never got this message. Things definitely die after this as the named.conf never gets updated.

Jaz[/quote:a695571eef]
What build are you using?

jsteel

Jul 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
[quote:cbc9be3cfd][i:cbc9be3cfd]Originally posted by itf[/i:cbc9be3cfd]

What build are you using?[/quote:cbc9be3cfd]

The new server is running 'WHM 5.2.0 / Cpanel 5.3.0-R6'. This is running on an RH7.3 install.

Jaz

big

Aug 12, 2001
Earth
but what about if having 2 servers both has websites running and you wish to have to have each server to be master for the sites on it and slave for the sites on the other server , is this possible?

or the right way todo it is to have one master server and one slave for all sites on both servers? if yes how to do that, like to add new site on a server and it send to the master server to add an entry?!

dgbaker

PartnerNOC
Sep 20, 2002
Toronto, Ontario Canada
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The fix I used for the Scp failed! error is as follows.

Once everything is setup, and you get this error, ssh into server2 (slave server)

1. cd /scripts
2. ./dnstransfer (This transfers the zone info over and creates the named.conf properly with slave information)
3. Rerun Syncronize DNS (should now get Rebuild Complete)
4. Error gone.

tekdns

Jun 9, 2002
Hi,

Yes, dns zone mirrored, but how is data mirrored?

And, will i have our all domains dns address change?

If yes, how this?

Thanks for your help

binary_frog

Registered
Jun 3, 2002
Re: Get your Slave DNS working (secondary DNS)

Is it possible to have several slave boxes receive updates from each other through the master box?

That is, to have the master box propagate all the updates it receives to all slave boxes, so the DNS database of each box is equivalent.

sexy_guy

Mar 19, 2003
Can you do this, i mean change things over if your already running ns1 and ns2 on one box and ns3 and ns4 on the second box? I would only like to run ns1 on one box and ns2 on the second box but if i was going to do this what would 400 sites have to do at their registrar to get unterrruped server? :confused:

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

blackisha

Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by sexy_guy
Can you do this, i mean change things over if your already running ns1 and ns2 on one box and ns3 and ns4 on the second box? I would only like to run ns1 on one box and ns2 on the second box but if i was going to do this what would 400 sites have to do at their registrar to get unterrruped server? :confused:

Is your ns3 & ns4 box a new box or an older one?
if it's older and contains accounts & DNS records, it would probably quite tricky.

as it was, with our setup _all_ our sites pointed to ns.domain.com and ns2.domain.com. So it was easiest to migrate the ns2.domain.com to our second server.

blackisha

Apr 22, 2003
If your machine #2 is brand new, and no accounts then it should be easy, otherwise you would have to change the named.conf for existing accounts, and make the records into slave records, but these records would first have to be migrated to the #1 box, probably not that hard if you know what you're doing & you dont have too many saccounts on box #2

Angel78

May 9, 2002
Originally posted by itf
[quote:4315a06d15][i:4315a06d15]Originally posted by hotice007[/i:4315a06d15]

dummy question...

what if server 1 (primary) is unreachable, will server 2 take over all the traffic?[/quote:4315a06d15]
Yes but I answered this question in another post just click on the link to go to that post in this thread (more details)
http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=2886&page=2#21003
How can you reach this page?

kennyp

Registered
May 29, 2003
Master/Slave config

Thanks ITF,
Your a lifesaver, now after finally muddling my way through my first Master/Slave setup I think I finally have it. This may sound like a stupid question Ive got 4 new boxes ready to come online, I have server1.mydomain.com and then second is its slave server2.mydomain.com. Is it better for me to go with the other 2 boxes server3.mydomian and server4 or to go server1.mynewdomain.com & server2.mynewdomain.com. Im leaning to the former, seems the logical course. I should add my servers are high mail volume so that weighs heavily on the way to go. If anyone has an educated answer Id appreciate it.

Thanks

Kennyp

infinityws

Feb 20, 2003
Can you link 2 servers together from 2 completely different providers or do the servers need to be from the same provider in the same data center.

Also, whether you have 1 server or 50 servers, if connected properly, do they all use the same 2 Name serverS?

(ie. ns1 and ns2)

blackisha

Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by infinityws
Can you link 2 servers together from 2 completely different providers or do the servers need to be from the same provider in the same data center.

Also, whether you have 1 server or 50 servers, if connected properly, do they all use the same 2 Name serverS?

(ie. ns1 and ns2)

In my LAYMANS opinion if the cpanel versions and operating systems are not too different it should work. Basically they must be both running WHM/cpanel (otherwise you will need to get your hands _very_ dirty). different DNS servers _should_ be in different locations anyway, so if one data-center fails, the other is still up.

The sites on the failed IP address will still fail though, your other dns server will just still be available for dns requests.