The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use DNSOnly with a lot of servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by CoolMike, Jan 8, 2009.

1. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Hi

We have about 70 cpanel servers each is configured with 2 nameservers:

server1:
    ns1.company.com
    ns2.company.com

server2:
    ns3.company.com
    ns4.company.com

server3:
    ns5.company.com
    ns6.company.com

server4:
    ns7.company.com
    ns8.company.com

Now we would like to use DNSonly to have more redundandy. Is it correct, that I can setup two dnsonly server and then link each of my 70 servers to sync to my two dnsonly server?

Can I then change the IP Addresses of my 140 nameservers to the IP of the 2 DNSonly servers? And the new customers just use the two dnsonly nameservers?

What about resources, will I have problems with synchronisation? Is there any disadvantage?

Will the webservers only sync to the two dnsonly servers, or also the way back?

Hope someone can answer my question or tell me, which would be the best solution.

Thanks
    Michael

2. Zishan

Zishan Well-Known Member

Yes, its true and this is how the DNS should be setup. Practically you should have redundant Nameservers at different geographical locations or at different networks alteast at different machines. Usually a nameserver pair is used so

• Setup two servers one as Primary Nameserver and the other as Secondary Nameserver as ns1.company.com and ns2.company.com.
    • Install DNSONLY cPanel on both Nameserver machines.
    • Configure DNS clustering between your servers and DNS servers.

Once you setup the DNS clustering then your clients should be only using the single Nameserver pair and that is ns1.company.com and ns2.company.com. But as you already have hundreds of clients using different Nameservers so instead of changing the IP address of 140 Nameservers, what you can do is move the Ips of those Nameservers from hosting servers to DNS servers.

There shouldn't be any issue with the synchronization and its very useful in terms of resources as you will not need to run DNS service on each hosting server.

The hosting servers will fetch and sync the DNS data to the dns servers once you configure the DNS clustering.

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Also you may want to try using the beta version of dnsonly which is based on 11.24 which has optimizations for larger setups like this. It is still marked as beta because its installer is not yet complete. However if you upgrade from 11.23.x dnsonly it should be just fine.

4. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for all the information. I'm just not that sure about your sentence above. I can not move the 140 IP addresses to the nameserver, because the IP adresses are also used for the webservers. My plan was, to point all nameservers to the same IP address which the two dnsonly nameservers will us. So for example:

ns1 -> IP of dnsonly server 1
    ns2 -> IP of dnsonly server 2
    ns3 -> IP of dnsonly server 1
    ns4 -> IP of dnsonly server 2
    ns5 -> IP of dnsonly server 1
    ns6 -> IP of dnsonly server 2

Would this work?

In case some customers don't use the 2 new nameservers but will continue using the nameservers of the webserver, is this a problem?

Thanks
    Michael

5. Zishan

Zishan Well-Known Member

Yes, it will work but before changing the IPs for existing Nameservers, make sure that you have configured DNS clustering and the DNS servers have DNS zone files from all hosting servers otherwise the sites will not resolve.

As you will be pointing the existing Nameservers to Ips of DNS servers and DNS servers will have the DNS zone files so this will not be an issue.

6. VeZoZ

VeZoZ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Has 11.24 version fixed up the syncing the dns clusters at all? I had an awful time getting things to sync properly in 11.23 when I set things up. I think I had ended up syncing close to 20,000 domains or more and it took about 5 tries to get every zone in.

Also along with that is there an feasibility of expanded the dnsonly functionality slightly with a few tiny useful tools for the dns system?

What I am thinking is a facility to find zones that aren't on any server except the dnsonly machines. The reason I bring this up is because I think I have thousands and thousands of zones that are only in the dnsonly systems. Since I've been running the dnsonly since ooh I think about 2005 I imagine all sorts of bugs have resulted in a lot of zones not getting removed and various other things.

So just a facility to clean up the system.

7. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Zishan…Seriously..I don’t have words to appreciate you!!

I read your post and I think it is one of top posts of Cpanel forum!

8. whplus

whplus Well-Known Member

Should the nameservers on cPanel/WHM servers be deactivated once configure the DNS clustering?

susan,

9. kinsky

kinsky Well-Known Member

it think you don't have to deactivated it.. just add in another machine with cpaneldnsonly in cpanel and it will rsync automatically..

correct me if i'm wrong :)