The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to use /etc/mailips ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by d_t, May 6, 2008.

1. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

Looks like cPanel added support for multiple IPs in exim. Domains and IPs will be stored in /etc/mailips file. The line below is from exim config file:

Code:
    interface = ${if exists {/etc/mailips}{${lookup{$sender_address_domain}lsearch{/etc/mailips}{$value}{}}}{}}
    The question is how to generate the list of domain/IPs and how to keep it syncronized with accounts on server. Is there any tool for this or is made automatically?

2. DaveT

DaveT Active Member

Hi,

I'd also like to know the answer to this one since I use something other than the first IP address of the server to send out emails - I've manually added my old "interface=" line back in for now, but would like to know how I can setup the /etc/mailips file to avoid me editing exim.conf every time there's a cpanel update...

Thanks in advance for any answers...

#2 DaveT, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Now sure on this either, especially since I am running Release and don't even have this option yet.

I did check the changelog and saw:

Which leaves me to believe that this file is not a file that can be modified.

If I had to guess, I would say that it is tied to the Fix:

that is also mentioned in the changelog.

SPF works by verifying the sending server IP. As far as I know, cPanel has always used the main server IP for sending out mail, regardless if the domain sending the message out is on a dedicated IP or not. This would interfere with the SPF record that cPanel generates. Because it was just a blind SPF record, it would include the domain's A record, which if on a dedicated IP would not be the same IP that sends out a message from the server. This would seem to "fix" this aspect.

The downside here is that now you will have to check all of your server's IP addresses against RBL blacklists to see if any of your servers are listed on blacklist (if you routinely check this).

Not sure if I really agree with this, I think the SPF records should be what is corrected, not the sending interface. At the same time I can see where this specific option could be useful, I just hope that it is something that is enabled/disabled in tweak settings, and I wish you could edit the file if so desired.

But again, this is all based on pure speculation on my part.

4. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

I upgrade to the latest cPanel CURRENT C24083 and /etc/mailips contains now a list of domains and IPs. The list can be updated using /scripts/updateuserdomains script.

What is missing: smtp_banner and helo_data have the default values.

I'll do tomorrow a test for SPF and remote mx to see if they are working,