The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use Procmail or equiv for Virtual users?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tr808, Aug 31, 2004.

1. tr808

tr808 Member

Hello,

On my old mail setup, all of my mail users were system users & I used sendmail + MailScaner + procmail + uwimap + squirrelmail. Now on the VPS, I've got all of my accounts setup as virtual users and the system is using: exim + MailScanner + [whatever cpanel's imap is] + squirrelmail.

I had a few users (including myself) using some pretty detailed procmail recipes to sort their mail into various folders, copying msgs from people appearing in the address book to their mobile phones, etc. I have so far not figured out how I can recreate this functionality for the virtual users (or the regular users for that matter).

I've done a lot of searching on this & it seems like you can somehow use procmail with Exim, but that it's not the "best" solution *and* it's never in the context of virtual users; only standard system users. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to how to get this working?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The problem is, as you've found, that exim doesn't really do procmail.

One way to use it is to pipe the email using a forwarder through the procmail binary, but then you run into other problems, i.e. if you have a forwarder and an email account, both will receive the email with exim.

Exim prefers you to use its filtering system. Detailed information about that can be found here:
    http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/filter_toc.html

Also, have a search of the exim FAQ for procmail
    http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/FAQ.html

User filters are stored in:
    /etc/vfilters/

3. tr808

tr808 Member

Ah - so a virtual user *can* have their own filters then? That seems like it could work. I did discover that exim and procmail don't mix from what I had read on the 'net researching this. I'll check out those docs to see what I can hack.

FWIW, it'd be nice if cPanel's interface for the virtual mail accounts could add filters to vusers and not just the general mail.

-Ryan