The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use the domain that is used for the server name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptainC, Sep 6, 2012.

1. CaptainC

CaptainC Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have used a domain for the server name -> server.domain.co.uk

The glue records have been updated accordingly.

I have created an account for domain.co.uk but it is uncontactable so I guess its DNS records need editing.

Am I correct and if so what on earth do I set them too?

Unthinkingly I bought an ssl cert for the server not realising I would need to use an email address from the domain concerned. Any way round this?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, you should create your name servers at your domain registrar. Most registrars have an option called "Register A Name Server" or "Create a Name Server". We have a document explaining how to do this at the most common registrars:

Register A Name Server

After registering or creating the name servers, you can then assign those name servers to your domain name at the registrar. Ensure the "A" records for these name servers are added on the cPanel server.

You can create an email account for the domain name and it will begin working after the DNS propagates.

Thank you.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For the email account, since you mention SSL, you can always use the server's hostname for the incoming and outgoing mail servers if you purchased the SSL for the server for the hostname itself and need to use the secure ports for smtp, imap and pop3.

The SSL used for exim, courier and/or dovecot is in WHM > Manage Service SSL Certificates area, so you'd install any server SSL certificate needed for these services there.

4. CaptainC

CaptainC Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thankyou for the replies.

It seems I have made a pigs ear of my server! I will start a new thread as the question is significantly diffrerent to above.