The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Utilize Provided IP's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrManager, Jan 22, 2004.

1. MrManager

MrManager Registered

Jan 21, 2004
    Two questions for the masses:

I have a brand new dedicated server and in the process of trying to get it setup.

1. Is the data center resolver the same as DNS or related to it? As a test server, I rented a server and I don't understand the very first question WHM asks re resolv.conf. What IP do I enter or how do I find out what it is?
    The resolv.conf file at my old host had, some 12.x.x.x and the IP's of my 2 nameservers. Now WHM is asking me what info it needs and I don't know what to enter.

2. I was given a block of 10 IP's, but when I try to create new nameservers within WHM it gives an error message that reads "Sorry, you have no more IPs left to assign" or something to that effect and it refuses too let me create the second nameserver.

How do I utilize the additional IP's given to me?

Do the folks who leased the server have to "assign" them to my server or is there a way for me to just 'use' them somehow so my server can create a shared hosting account with a dedicated IP? I heard I can just start using them, but I can't figure out how and I'm not too keen on manually configuring UNIX DNS.

I'm sorry for two questions in one thread- I was tasked to get this figurted out byt my techs and so I rented a server and am trying to learn this as best as I can. Whatever help you can offer would be MOST appreciated since tech support doesn't ever answer the phone.

HELP? :)

MUCH MUCH appreciated everyone,
  2. vijaykiran

vijaykiran Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2003
    You need to enter the localhost ( and the primary and secondary nameserver IPS of your server address in the resolv.conf

You are getting error messages because you might have allocated the IP for every domain you've created until now. you might have run out of IPs. If you want to create shared hosting accounts ( using one IP) just clear the IP check box in the create account menu/form :)