The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to view messages from backup file on local PC

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by integro, Sep 23, 2015.

1. integro

integro Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have a backup file of an email account, and I would like to be able to read messages within a mail client like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.
    I don't need to send or receive messages, this is an archive of an old account which isn't used anymore.
    So, my question is which mail client can help me in this issue, and what steps should be done in order to get access to these messages?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The easiest solution here is to create the email account and upload the mail files to the appropriate directories (matched up with how they are backed up). Then, you can view the messages via Webmail, or download the messages to an email client via POP3 and delete the email account.

Thank you.

3. integro

integro Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So, you are suggesting to install a server, to create an email account, to make kind of recovery from backup file and to download messages into a POP3 client... this doesn't sound like an easy solution.
    It is like flying back to Africa only to peel the oranges in order to take the juice!
    Should be a straight way to import and view messages with an email client. Shouldn't?

4. LostNerd

LostNerd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    These files are in a format that the server can read, not a mail client.

It's easy enough. Just upload them to a cPanel account that has the same domain on it into /home/$username/mail in the same format as the cpbackup file has it (as Michael said).

If you wanted to view them on a mail client, it would've been easier to export them. For example, in Outlook 365, You can click File > Options > Advanced and click Export. Via that .pst file, you could import them again easily.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could simply create the domain name as an addon domain name to an existing cPanel account instead of setting up a new server.

Thank you.