The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how would I enable an openx install to be available to other accounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stardotstar, Jun 11, 2010.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Well-Known Member

SOVLED: how would I enable an openx install to be available to other accounts?

Hi guys,

I have been working on migrating a server with an openx implementation serving two vbulletins (all on localhost) to my cpanel server.

What I have now is a working openx (with correct database restored and images available etc) running under my main hosting reseller account within cpanel and now one of the vbulletins migrated across under another account name (the accounts are that was simply due to the domain name assignments/zones)

So I have

adserver account in which runs the openx implementation
    forum1 account in which runs the vbulletin that I need to run ads from adserver in

Now the way it traditionally works is that in the vbulletin admin cp I simply point to the local path of the openx install...

on the old server this was something like

/var/www/adserver/htdocs/openx

now it must be another accounts www in their home

/home/adserver/www/openx

and after stuffing around trying to work out what was wrong I realised that I probably can't access another accounts local php scripts like this without a change of permissions or some suPHP trickery ...

Is there a way to do this other than running an instance of the adserver for my individual forums?

currently the openx install supplies "forum1" and "forum2" on the old server and I don't really want to run an instance in each account - if you see what I mean?

Can anyone give me some thoughts and suggestions on this one??

TIA
    Will

#1 stardotstar, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. stardotstar

Is it likely that I can solve this by moving the forum1 and forum2 to the openx account as add-on domains?

I would merge all three accounts in whm and that would allow me to run the three domains - the openx parent and both the forums under the one cpanel account thus removing the issues of user and group on the server from the suPHP pov - not ideal but perhaps a solution?

These are all my zones so it doesn't need to matter really I suppose - assuming the zones can be merged from stand alone accounts to addons without trauma.

Still very much appreciate any thoughts guys.
    TIA
    Will

[edit] in the mean time I am playing with the reseller capability - make the two forums subaccounts of the ad server primary as a reseller...

#2 stardotstar, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. stardotstar

OK looks like this has to be done by moving the domains to add on domains of the main account.

I have to look at the dns and mail issues since from what I am reading I can't backup and then after the move restore the mail and databases. The dbs with be manual and that's no real problem;

mainly the existing mail I am a bit worried about.

4. stardotstar

OK, so I'm at the end of a whole server migration that involved an openx adserver which was hosting ads for delivery by localmode calls in two quite separate (but also localhost based) vbulletins.

In short (summary in closing) I moved the domains to addon domains in the parent reseller account that housed the adserver (could have been any account but the fact is they all had to be addon domains).

A big shout out to the cPanel support team who helped me identify the exact approach that would work.

5. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

You may need to take care the following things before moving Openx from a non cpanel server to a cpanel server.

1) Upoload all files to your new cPanel account /home/user/public_html/ folder
    2) Edit the configuration file /home/user/public_html/var/DOMAINAME.conf.php
    3) Set the permissions to folders , if you have suphp ,
    4) May be you can remove old file caches from var/cache
    5) You can use memcached for increasing the performance of your Openx
    6) You can prepare your cPanel server for openx as described here

6. stardotstar