The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would I setup a domain to have a different IP address?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JPigford, Mar 24, 2006.

1. JPigford

JPigford Member

My particular server has a block of 10 IP addresses. Right now the 20+ sites on my server all share the same IP. Is giving a particular site a new IP as simple as going in to WHM > Change Site's IP Address and selecting a new one? What happens when I do that?

Obviously I want to keep downtime to a minimum. Just curious what the effects will be of changing the IP.

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

it's as simple as that, assuming that box is acting as nameserver for the domain.

Propogation isn't an issue in this case. If a computer tries to contact the site on it's old IP address, it will eventually hit your box and BIND will report the new IP and make contact.

If you box isn't providing BIND services (which is possible, but unlikely) then you'll have to make appropriate adjustments to how you do it.

3. JPigford

JPigford Member

The box has it's own nameservers if that's what you're meaning. Like say the IP Address for the box itself is 123.456.7.89...I've got NS1.SOMEDOMAIN.COM/NS2.SOMEDOMAIN.COM setup as the nameservers for the box and the domains I'm wanting to change both use NS1.SOMEDOMAIN.COM/NS2.SOMEDOMAIN.COM as their nameservers.

How can I verify the BIND services?