The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would I transfer cPanel data to new cPanel on VPS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kuzco, Jan 13, 2011.

1. kuzco

kuzco Registered

How would I transfer my shared hosting files, data, and everything, to my new VPS hosting? Is there a simple way to do it or do I have to configure each and every file?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It sounds like you do not have root access to the old server, since you mentioned shared hosting. In this case, the best thing to do is generate a full backup of your account using the cPanel tool, and restore this file on the new server. Your shared host may not have backups enabled for your cPanel account, so you may need to ask to have this done for you.

A backup generated with the cPanel tool (called /scripts/pkgacct) will end in .tar.gz. Upload the file to the VPS server in the /home or /root directory, using FTP or scp, and use /scripts/restorepkg (or, in the WebHost Manager, Main >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file).

If it is at all possible, obtaining a full backup of your account created by the cPanel tools is far preferable to trying to configure the account on the new server, copy the files over, and deal with permissions and ownerships and other configuration issues. Some hosts may simply archive the account's home directory, but this is not the same as a full account backup made by cPanel's built-in tools. A proper, full backup created by /scripts/pkgacct will restore on a cPanel server with little or no manual intervention.

3. Amsd

Amsd Registered

Please, I have root access to the older server. Does it change the procedures you've suggested? The Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file is only for one account or all accounts that I have in the older server?
    Thanks for your help.

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have root access to both server, use Main >> Transfers >> Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server. This is documented here:

Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages from Another Server

This is much simpler than transferring accounts from a server on which you do not have root access. Simply use the function I mentioned on the destination server, and fill out the form with the required information. The destination server will log into the source server, and get a list of accounts and packages. Select the accounts and packages you want to transfer, and it will be done for you.

The only time this may not work well is if an account is very large, as in a gigabyte or more, but you should always try this function first, because the cPanel transfer tools are the only method we can directly support.