The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

howto prepare cpanel account for migration

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mangoose, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Mangoose

Mangoose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

Let me explain in detail what my objectives are. I have one ecommerce application that is hosted on domain X and I have new ecommerce application ready that is going to replace that older application that currently occupies domain X. The new application however is not quite ready to launch but I do need to test it on domain F.

In order to test the application on domain F I need to create a Cpanel account (by the way I am not sure if I should refer to Cpanel or cPanel) which by itself is no effort but at the same time if all I want to do is point domain X to the current IP of the new application can't I just change the IP in the DNS that is done at the registrar and be okay with that ? Or is better to just install the new ecommerce application on a account that bears the name of domain X of the old but current live application ?

What is Wisdom in this case ?

Regards

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You could simply create an addon domain name under the existing cPanel account if you do not want to have to re-create email accounts, FTP accounts, or databases when it's time to migrate over to the new application.

Thank you.