HOWTO: Upgrade layer1 MailScanner

cev

Apr 10, 2002
yemoller said:
Is it safe to use this Guide to upgrade to ver.4.32.5?
yes, it is. i just did it before a week and it worked great. Just copy past the command to your consol and you are done.

thanks for the work to do this guide.

rony

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Yup, I've even just tidied it up a little to make it cleaner and simpler to simply cut&paste each section into a shell window ;)

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
This charming upgrade of the forum software now puts quoted code into a scrollable window. If you look further down you'll see a nice left to right scroll bar - use it and all will be revealed ;)

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
fikse said:
any updates needed to this for Version 4.33 1st September 2004?

thanks
cpanel has discontinued the mailscanner package from their website. The url mentioned by sawbuck is maintained by chirpy i believe. You should find the updated information there.

If you would like to try you can give exiscan a shot which allows to bring down server loads considerably low for high mail traffic servers. You can find the information on www.cpanelappz.com.

goodmove

May 12, 2003
anand said:
cpanel has discontinued the mailscanner package from their website. The url mentioned by sawbuck is maintained by chirpy i believe. You should find the updated information there.
Mailscanner is way above more configurable than exiscan. It's hard to understand why both options shouldn't be supported.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
goodmove said:
Mailscanner is way above more configurable than exiscan. It's hard to understand why both options shouldn't be supported.
yes its way too advanced, and way too much load on cpu for people where mail traffic is large. you would be surprised to see at times how much load mailscanner causes on a box. anyways its a personal choice, some choose exiscan, and some mailscanner. choose whatever works for you.

since cpanel has discontinued it (they never supported it at the first place), you can find info on mailscanner on the above url.

goodmove

May 12, 2003
anand said:
...you would be surprised to see at times how much load mailscanner causes on a box
That's certainly true, as the config that comes with the Mailscanner package isn't well tuned. If you set it to only detect the emails against viruses and discard them without any notifications to either the sender or the recipient, coupled with using the ClamAV module, the load comes down considerably. You also get a lot of control on what you can do with other kinds of potentially harmful content such as codebase tags, inline HTML and forms.

Exiscan sounds a practical solution, though. Install it and forget it. :)

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
goodmove said:
That's certainly true, as the config that comes with the Mailscanner package isn't well tuned.
yup i agree, still it can't come to the level of performance what exiscan delivers. yet its used mainly for the features it has over exiscan.

goodmove said:
Exiscan sounds a practical solution, though. Install it and forget it. :)
very true :)

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
My general opinion is that if you have your own server for your own means, then exiscan is a good choice as what you can configure on it is enough for one persons needs.

If, however, you're running a web hosting business and want to provide choice and configurability for your customers then MailScanner is the only way to go. Exiscan simply does not have the functionality for you to offer a service to customers who generally do not like the broad brush approach.

It's also wrong to say that cPanel have withdrawn support for MailScanner. They may have withdrawn the package, but cPanel still supports MailScanner within its scripts.

Btw, I'm also considering adding an administrative front-end to MailScanner to make access to MailScanner even easier for administrators to configure it to their customers needs.

goodmove

May 12, 2003
chirpy said:
Btw, I'm also considering adding an administrative front-end to MailScanner to make access to MailScanner even easier for administrators to configure it to their customers needs.
That's good news. What would also be great is a front-end for users where they can whitelist and choose their own options about how to deal with virused emails and spam. ;)