The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOWTO: Upgrade phpMyAdmin to 2.4.0 Cpanel 6

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by ozzi4648, Mar 4, 2003.

1. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

HOWTO Deleted!

#1 ozzi4648, Mar 4, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2003
  2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks ozzie.

For anyone else, you might get an error msg. about line 77. Now it might have been from the new file itself itself or something else. In any case, I noticed that particular line (it's the one where change 'config' to 'http') had wrapped:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http'; // Authentication method (config, http or cookie
    based)?

By putting everything back on one line, problem went away.

Any idea what the benefit/features are for 2.4.0? ( disregard, went to the source: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ )

#2 Website Rob, Mar 4, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  3. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

Fix for index.php not loading!

FIX Deleted

#3 ozzi4648, Mar 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2003
  4. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's one problem I never got. ;)

After the install, I did get a default page, due to first time use of the new update, and when I clicked the link provided, you supposedly get; either a blank page (everything is OK) or you get an error msg. -- which is how I found out about the the problem I mentioned above.

Everything now works just fine, in that area.

5. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

Which theme are you using to load phpmyadmin from?

6. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

uhm ...

I noticed now that phpmyadmin config file store my
    mysql root password in clear .

Is there any way to install cpanel phpmyadmin without
    storing mysql root password in clear :mad:

7. gic

gic Well-Known Member

Ozzi, you are awesome. :p

8. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

Where do you see that, do you mean in config.inc.php?

9. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'd also like to know which file is showing any ID / PW in the clear. For some you cannot get around it and if the reference (by RadioHead) is to any files in: /usr/local/cpanel/ dir., I wouldn't be worried.

ozzie, I use Bluelagoon as default for Cpanel. I find there are less problems that way -- for my Clients, which means less problems for me. :)

10. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

yes config.inc.php .

I know that the file is not readable , however since phpmyadmin supports htaccess , I cannot see a reason to place the mysql root password in clear .

11. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm still not sure what or where, the problem is, RadioHead? If you could provide a detailed example maybe?

In checking further to find out more on the problem you are attempting to describe, I did notice some interesting things.

A) ozzie has deleted his HowTo???

B) Cpanel overwrote the upgrade when I last upgdated Cpanel.

It would seem that, if certain Server script upgrades are not done in manner Cpanel desires, it just overwrites willy-nilly. Noticed some other posts on same type situation, having to do with Zend upgrades. I wonder how many other areas are affected as well.

12. Angel78

Angel78 Well-Known Member

13. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

The S109 upgraded over the top of my phpmyadmin 2.4.0 and now im back to 2.3.2!!! What the hell!!! What a waste of time that was! So that means if we decide to upgrade on our own because Cpanel is so damn slow with giving us important upgrades such as, phpmyadmin, phpbb, oscommerce, phpnuke, then no matter what we add, change the updates will always overwrite our own changes, modifications, updates? This is ridiculous!!!!!!

#13 ozzi4648, Mar 11, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  14. alwaysweb

alwaysweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ozzi, you can use chattr to lock the phpmyadmin source dir on your server to keep it from being overwritten. In fact, we modified 'wwwacct' and have locked it also for that same reason.

I'm curious, why did you delete the howto at the top of this thread? I'd like to see the steps you outlined, to see what (if any) thing you have to do different to keep it working nicely with cpanel. Thanks if you could repost (or someone PM me) :)

Edit: Can someone also re-post the 'Fix for index.php not loading!' I know cpanel doesn't show any errors if it doesn't work, so the trick to figure what's up would be great. Thanks!

#14 alwaysweb, Apr 4, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2003
  15. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I tried using chattr to lock my Awstats folder, but cPanel overwrote it anway.:(

16. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think Ozzie got ticked at how Cpanel upgrades overwrite a manual update done by an individual, in other areas / services. Removing the post, which was very good BTW, only hurts us -- the Forum Visitors looking for answers -- but am only guessing that is the reason.

I've also had problems with using 'chattr -i' as I get tired of having to re-write the Content for the 'FormMail.html' file and tried that command for all Themes with that file -- never works though as the next update just overwrites what I put. sigh...

MW FormMail, any version, is not allowed on any Servers I use. Doesn't work anyway as no install files are provided for it, or the cgiemail script as well. Could be DarkOrb agrees with my judgement, I agree with theirs, or maybe, I'm just using the wrong Browser. :D

17. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

Try chmod 0 and then chattr -i

18. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That would be a good idea if I didn't want the file to be read. Since I do, I've provided alternative methods to the MW script, I'll be trying 044 and see what happens on the next upgrade.

19. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

You may get those instuctions from Rackshacks Cpanel forums. I saw them over there and i dont know why he deleted it here.

20. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Can i ask you a question? Which version of phpMyAdmin are you currently running? Is it the one you installed form Ozzi's howto or the one overwritten by cpanel's version? Im asking because here is the story. The version downloaded and installed from PhpMyAdmin, and the one Ozzi wrote his howto on, look very different from the one Cpanel deployed with E57. It seems that Cpanel is just pasifiying us and trying to keep us happy with the fact that it says 2.4.0 at the top however what differences are you seeing? Nothing. It looks identical to 2.3.2 with no added funtionality. So what i am saying is that the version deployed by Cpanel is missing a bunch of things. First and foremost there is no ability to list DB's in the second frame after you load phpmyadmin 2.4.0. That is a standard feature with the new version yet i do not see that in my current version deployed by Cpanel. It just tells me that they have given us some very basic version and not given us the real version we are entitled to receiving. With that said it may be purdent to delete what they gave us, install the REAL version the chattr it.